Author Topic: Westerleigh Marriage lookup please  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Westerleigh Marriage lookup please
« on: Wednesday 29 November 17 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Would anyone be able to look for the marriage of Amos CHAPEL & Mary ROWLAND at Westerleigh on either 15 May 1785 or 19 Sep 1785 please.  Ancestry has both dates so there must be confusion as to the correct date. 
I particularly would like to know the full details of the marriage - where the couple were from and the witnesses names.  I can't find this information online anywhere.  I presume the church register would be at the Bristol Record Office.
Many thanks for any assistance.
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Westerleigh Marriage lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 08:43 GMT (UK) »
As Amos CHAPEL had a son christened 11 September 1791 at Oldbury on the Hill - checked Glos CD for burials from 1813 at Oldbury on the Hill and there are a number of them including

Amos CHAPELL - aged 77 - buried 3 October 1824 - c 1747 (a generation or two before?)

Tree on Ancestry gives this as the father of Amos c1791 - as tree mentions his wife Mary came from Dorset

Children: 
Hannah - 1788 - Oldbury on the Hill
Daniel - 1791
Amos - 1791
Mary - 1794
William - 1796

(looking for family names etc)

---

Forest of Dean Marriage Allegations - have many CHAPEL/CHAPPELL/CHAPPEL - Licences -

Westerleigh/Nibley is mentioned ...

There is a

21 September 1805

Daniel CHAPPEL aged 19, (c1786)  batchelor, Servant, residence: North Nibley who married a Hannah GIBBONS, aged 17 Spinster, of Tortworth - to marry in the parish church of Tortworth

Transcriber's notes: Ann CHAPPEL mother of Daniel CHAPPEL and Thomas GIBBONS mark consent

?

Family Search

AMOS CHAPLE christened 27 September 1747 Dalwood, Devon, parents: Anthony & Mary.

----

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Capetown for all the research you did for me but I have the majority of it. 

I am really asking for a copy of the marriage entry at Westerleigh in case it tells me where Amos was from.  Also as he was 38 when he married Mary Rowland he may have been a widower and knowing whether he was a bachelor or not would help me find him too.

Thanks
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 November 17 10:41 GMT (UK) »
As you have all the details - names, dates, place - have you considered e-mailng the Record Office and asking if they can do a quick look up for you and let you have the details. I have done this with several ROs around the country and most are willing to do a free look up if you can give them all the details. It's when they have to spend time searching that they tend to charge. Always worth a try.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 November 17 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Wow, what a brilliant idea.  Why didn't I think of that!  I will certainly give it a go.  Thanks so much emelton.

Kessa

Offline GAJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I made notes from the Westerleigh BTs many years ago and the information I recorded then was that Amos Chapel and Mary Rowland had their banns published on 15 May 1785 and the marriage took place there on 19 September.  I did not note that either of them came from another parish which I would have done if that had been shown on the record.
All inhabitants of Axbridge, Somerset.

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much GAJ.

It was disappointing that the marriage record did not have the original parish for Amos but at least I know now why there were two marriage dates for them.  Your kindness is much appreciated.
Kessa