Author Topic: GORDON Family of Market Weighton and Pocklington  (Read 2915 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GORDON Family of Market Weighton and Pocklington
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 December 17 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi again 29th May 1865 Langtoft Edward 31 marries Ann Atkinson 31, in 1871 census he is a Shepherd/Proprieter of Houses in Langtoft
Census ref RG10/4809/15/24

1881 Census aged 47 a Cattle Dealer in Langtoft
Census ref RG11/4796/10/14

In 1891 back to a Shepherd aged 56 working for an Arthur J Walmsley in Bridlington
Census ref RG12/3960/73/10

His wife Ann b Langtoft and family also in Bridlington
RG12/3959/41/4

EDIT Now can see problem re "Brother having hung himself 14 years earlier than 1898" as Thomas looks to have died Pocklington 1889 aged 61?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 01:18 GMT (UK) »
In 1826 William & Ann baptised another son, John, in Market Weighton. 

In 1841 he is an Ag Lab in Market Weighton, and by 1881 he is a 54-year-old butcher in Market Place, Pocklington.   

There is a death registered in Pocklington in 1884 of a John Gordon aged 57, and although I can't seem to find anything in the newspapers about it, the year fits exactly with the alleged suicide.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Prussian1874

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 11:33 GMT (UK) »
keyboard 86 - Thank you for spending so much time on researching my GORDON family.

Charles (born 1831) had an older brother Thomas (born 1828) and younger brother Edward (born 1834) according to my uncle who carried out the initial research into the family in 1992. Sadly my deceased uncle's records are not available to me.

The Driffield Times reported on Sat 24 Aug 1889 that Thomas GORDON age 61 committed suicide  in Pocklington by hanging. The dates seem correct that this is my Thomas. Is it acceptable to post the newspaper article on the other noticeboard for information only?

My great grandfather John GORDON (born Molescroft in 1865) ended up in Camberwell, London come the 1939 Register. I have 2 female cousins descended from John who have always been known to me.

There is an Agnes (born 1871) and 8 others (born 1900s) in Pocklington according to the 1939 Register but have no idea whether we are related.

I was successful in getting an article printed in the Pocklington Post a year or so ago but did not get any reply. Suspect my only other option to find living relatives is to send polite open letters to anyone living in the Pocklington area.

It would be wrong of me to expect you or others to devote any more time to my enquiry. I now have many more lines of research to follow up.

Thank you all once again for your help.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Charles (born 1831) had an older brother Thomas (born 1828) and younger brother Edward (born 1834) according to my uncle who carried out the initial research into the family in 1992. Sadly my deceased uncle's records are not available to me.

In 1826 William & Ann baptised another son, John, in Market Weighton. 

29 Aug 1826, John s/o William & Ann Gordon of Market Weighton, Shepherd.

Per my earlier post, his death in 1884 ties in with the reported year of the suicide of William's brother.

William & Ann's marriage:
24 Nov 1825, Goodmanham,
William Gordon of Cherry Burton & Ann Hall of this parish, after Banns
Wits: William Sharp, William Hall, Mary Hall
William signed, Ann made her mark

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi I would definetly check out that John Gordon, he was an Ag Lab/Shepherd/Retired Shepherd and Butcher by 1881 census aged 54 with wife Elizabeth 55 both b Market Weighton
Census ref RG11/4733/17/27

A possible marriage is a John Gordon to ( on same page ) Elizabeth Wreghitt?
March qtr 1871 Pocklington 9d 117

Their is a death announcement of an Elizabeth Gordon Widow of the late John Gordon being interred 5th April 1891 aged 65
Keyboard86

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, re the report that a brother of William's hung himself 14 years earlier, would suggest after your finding the hanging of Thomas in 1889 that the amount of years is incorrect.
Thomas Gordon was buried 19th August 1889 Pocklington.
John and Thomas ( both butchers) are mentioned in a case relating to a stolen skirt of meat in Market Weighton, John was definetely alive 12th September 1884 as he was suing an Ann Hodgson Widow for £26 for Board & Lodgings over many years.
Keyboard86

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
John was definetely alive 12th September 1884 as he was suing an Ann Hodgson Widow for £26 for Board & Lodgings over many years.

According to the National Probate Calendar he died 9 Jul 1884 & probate to his widow Elizabeth was 23 Feb 1886.  He is described as John Gordon late of Pocklington in the County of York, Cattle Dealer.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 21:08 GMT (UK) »
 :) Mmm, will have to look at that John Gordon occ Butcher in Pockington case again in that case?!
Keyboard86

Offline Prussian1874

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your continued research - I was not expecting it.

There is much for me to consider.

From recollection, there was an unrelated GORDON family in the Pocklington area. That family may also account for some of the 1939 Register sightings.