Author Topic: Same person NZ 1854 & 1859 ? [J Morgan]  (Read 748 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Same person NZ 1854 & 1859 ? [J Morgan]
« on: Sunday 17 December 17 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello again.

Hopefully if I did it right, attached is a comparison board made up of two photos that I would appreciate the experienced opinions of those like of Jim1, as to what they think the odds are that the photos are of the same missionary. Standing inside c 1845 and standing outside by window 1859.

What you see is as good as I can get. No originals to be scanning at higher resolution etc. Lucky to have any image, or wood cut print 160+ years on.

I will not name the subject as GOOGLE informs the world within 48 hours to any general search, which is not helpful, should identification later be proven to be inaccurate.

Validating claims on that search engine proves to be a major issue with my research, BUT having said so it is a great luxury being able to find material from the comfort of my own home, than having to travel to some distant archive.

-   Alan.

The 1854 photo is credited with being J MORGAN, and the 1859 is a crop from his Mission School Class of 1859.  - Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Same person NZ 1854 & 1859 ? [J Morgan]
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Alan, there's nothing there to say he couldn't be the same person but, unfortunately, there's not enough there to say that he is; when you zoom in to his face there's just nothing there, period. :-\
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Alan, there's nothing there to say he couldn't be the same person but, unfortunately, there's not enough there to say that he is; when you zoom in to his face there's just nothing there, period. :-\
Peter

Concur entirely!

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 09:13 GMT (UK) »
I agree it's impossible to make a comparison to anyone from the second photo unfortunately.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 16:10 GMT (UK) »
If this was 1850's they would have to be Ambrotypes which they aren't.
The 1st. I would suggest is 1860's-70's & more likely 70's.
The 2nd. could be anytime after that & as it's so blurred suggests an amateur photo so could even be into the 20th. C.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from a hot but windy day at Auckland NZ where I am visiting friends pre Christmas.

Thank you for your opinions. I was hoping the dress and posture may have indicated the same man.

But the reason that I did not want to name the subject was I'm doing research at this time on an early Maori Christian convert, at one of the early CMS [Church Mission Society (CoE)] outreaches, which the Rev John MORGAN ran from c1842 to 1863 before having to retreat due to what was seen at the time to be a rebel uprising, as the locals were flourishing with the European crops being introduced by MORGAN.

The Maori gentleman went on to play an active part in his adopted community, as a Teacher and Preacher.

Both the image, and my cropped image used, are well known photos, and reproduced with many history accounts, and obtainable from our leading archives. Therefore well documented and supported by the press of the day. In the case of the cropped image, I would have liked to have assumed it was the Rev Morgan, from within the photo, of his School's class of 1859. If it was, then in all probability the tall Maori Gentleman also in the photo, would have been the school principal.

Thank you.

Your experience and opinions are appreciated.

Alan.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Otawhao+mission+school&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjy8YGwhJfYAhUIi7wKHVXkCqkQsAQIPA&biw=1280&bih=918

Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.