Author Topic: Teakle emigration to Adelaide, South Australia.  (Read 2493 times)

Offline melanie.c

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Teakle emigration to Adelaide, South Australia.
« on: Friday 22 December 17 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

In researching a couple of WWI soldiers I have come across the Teakle name as their ancestors who date back to the founding of the South Australian colony. BUT I am having difficulty identifying the family connection between them. South Australian records are pretty clear, but it is the Gloucester, England detail that I am lacking.

I am particularly interested to know if there is a family connection between Sidney TEAKLE, who married Mary Ann LUGG 25.10.1847 Holy Trinity Church, Adelaide SA (children: Kezia, Anna Maria, George, Mariann, Harriet, Charlotte, Priscilla, Robert William and Thomas), and George William TEAKLE, who married Catherine Custance 2.3.1863 residence of Reverend Wilson, Hindmarsh SA (children: William Custance, Louisa Evelyn, Charlotte, Catherine Mabel, George Owen, Rose Anna, Frank Arthur, Gilbert Edgar, Harold Hanks, Charlotte and Muriel Ernestine).

From what I can find in SA archives, George William migrated asa fostered child of William TEAKLE and Hosannah Hanks. William appears to have previously married Charlotte Hanks, sister of Hosannah. Passenger details:

TEAKLE William, Hosannah HANKS / HANKINS, Geo, Eliza (both fostered) arrived in SA 1850-06-11 aboard Fatima from London 50-01-17 via Plymouth

And Sydney is the son of Robert Teakle and Hannah who also migrated to Australia:

TEAKLE Robert, Hannah TEAKLE, Priscilla, (child?), Hrt, Keziah arrived in SA 1846-05-14 aboard Isabella Watson from London

SA passenger lists show the following Teakle migrations:

Navarino 1837
TEAKLE David, Martha PEGLER (d aft arr) arrived in SA 1837-12-06 aboard Navarino from London ??
TEAKLE Enoch, wife (d aft arr?) arrived in SA 1837-12-06 aboard Navarino from London

—> Martha was accidentally shot in the back by her brother. David then married Mary Ann Sanders.
—> David was a store owner (general store) in the Port Adelaide/Hindmarsh region before commencing farming in the Noarlunga district and then retiring at Mount Barker.
—> David Teakle also appear to be connected to Enoch and Ephraim of Port Road —> brothers?

TEAKLE Joseph, Mary (SCRATCHLEY?), dau arrived in SA 1837-12-06 aboard Navarino from London

Bullock driver
—> Daugher is Sarah?

The fact that they all travelled together indicates that they were family despite the lack of records supporting this...

Katherine Stewart Forbes 1837
TEAKLE Alexander, Ann WHEELER, 3 dau arrived in SA 1837-10-17 aboard Katherine Stewart Forbes from London
TEAKLE Hannah, Keziah, Sarah arrived in SA 1837-10-17 aboard Katherine Stewart Forbes from London

—> Marriage registration of Sarah indicates that she is Alexander’s daughter
—> Are Hannah, Keziah and Sarah the "3 dau" indicated on Alexander Teakle and Ann Wheeler's passenger listing?

TEAKLE Ephraim, Eliza EVANS arrived in SA 1837-10-17 aboard Katherine Stewart Forbes from London

—> Storekeeper at Port Adelaide/Hindmarsh
—> David and Enoch's brother?
The fact that they all travelled together indicates that they were family despite the lack of records supporting this.

Eden 1838
TEAKLE Samuel Axon, Eliza SMITH, Hrt, Ann arrived in SA 1838-06-24 aboard Eden from Portsmouth

—> Younger brother of Alexander TEAKLE?

William Mitchell 1840
BURFORD Esau, Charlotte TEAKLE, 2 sons, dau (My Ann?), 2 sons (inc Wm, Sam Arthur?) arrived in SA 1840-08-27 aboard William Mitchell from London 40-05-04

TEAKLE Sarah Ann arrived in SA 1840-08-27 aboard William Mitchell from London 40-05-04

Union 1846
TEAKLE Henry (d aft arr) arrived in SA 1846-03-26 aboard Union (2) from Launceston

Isabella Watson 1846
TEAKLE Robert, Hannah TEAKLE, Priscilla, (child?), Hrt, Keziah arrived in SA 1846-05-14 aboard Isabella Watson from London

—> Father, mother and siblings of Sydney Teakle..?
—> Employed with a Joseph Ind — grocers/market gardeners — Little Paradise on the Torrens
Childe Harold 1849

BADCOCK Paul (prev arr 1843 Arab), Sarah Ann TEAKLE, dau, Amelia Hope, Rd arrived in SA 1849-06-02 aboard Childe Harold from London 49-02-17 via Plymouth

Fatima 1850
TEAKLE William, Hosannah HANKS / HANKINS, Geo, Eliza (both fostered) arrived in SA 1850-06-11 aboard Fatima from London 50-01-17 via Plymouth

No Record
Dinah TEAKLE with one of her siblings 1837? per Katherine Stewart Forbes or Navarino ??
Sydney TEAKLE 1846? (m. 1847) per Isabella Watson ??

As you can see I have many questions, so any clarity would be welcome and greatly appreciated :) I am trying to 'draw' the bigger picture of the TEAKLE connections across SA as a means of understanding the social differences, similarities, impact etc.

Are all of the South Australian TEAKLES related? The family memoir 'The David Teakle Saga' seems to suggest that they were...

Thank you in advance :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Teakle emigration to Adelaide, South Australia.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 December 17 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

I will admit I have only quickly looked over this but will make a couple of comments/entries.

Quote;
From what I can find in SA archives, George William migrated asa fostered child of William TEAKLE and Hosannah Hanks

Why would he be a fostered Child?
So he must not be a Child of William Teakle from either of his Marriages.
He may be the child of William siblings or either of the female Hanks siblings or not related at all.

William married twice as you say;
8 April 1836, Avening to CHARLOTTE Hanks
26 February 1849, Stroud to HANNAH Hanks, his Father GEORGE/hers THOMAS
(FreeBMD has the marriage Reg as Rosannah)

WILLIAM/CHARLOTTE christened Horsley, Glous;
HENRY 11 June 1837
MARY 27 Jan 1839
GEORGE WILLIAM 4 Oct 1840******
ELIZA 28 Jan 1844
ELIZA 18 Jan 1846
HENRY 17 Oct 1847
(Source Familysearch.Org)

Death Reg GRO Index
HENRY Teakle, 1837 Stroud, age 0
MARY Teakle, 1839 Stroud, age 0
HENRY Teakle, 1848 Stroud, age 0
CHARLOTTE Teakle, 1848 Stroud age 31
Cant find record for ELIZA who must have died 1844/1845.

1841 Census
Horsley, Gloucestershire
William Teakle, 25, Ag Lab
Charlotte Teakle, 20
WILLIAM Teakle, 9 mths*****

So a bit confused here.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 December 17 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Christenings;
CHARLOTTE Hanks 23 Nov 1817 Horsley
HOSANNAH Hanks 7 Jan 1827
Parents THOMAS/MARY
+ CHARLES 5 June 1831
+ JOSEPH 30 June 1833

The Hanks in Horsley in 1841;
Thomas Hanks   60
Mary Hanks   45
Henry Hanks   15
Benjamin Hanks   15
ROSE Hanks   14*******
Charles Hanks   12
Peter Hanks   10
Joseph Hanks   8

1851 in Horsley we have;
Thomas Hanks   68
Joseph Hanks   17

1861 Joseph is boarding in London.

FreeREG has a Marriage;
16 Oct 1809, St Martin, Horsley
Thomas HANKS to Mary NEALE, both widowed****

2 earlier possible marriages for Thomas;
03 Aug 1800 to Mary TEAKLE**
28 Jul 1802 to Phoebe BRINKET

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 December 17 10:24 GMT (UK) »
christened Horsley, Glous to GEORGE/RUTH
ENOCH Teakle 6 Nov 1803
ALEXANDER christened same day
SAMUEL AXON 29 Aug 1808
JOSEPH christened same day
(F/S.Org)

DAVID Teakle Marriied Martha PEGLAR 25 December 1829, Minchinhampton (F/S)

GEORGE Teakle married Ruth EVANS 19 Aug 1799 St Martin, Horsley (FreeREG)

ROBERT Teakle married Hannah TEAKLE 11 Feb 1811 St Martin, Horsley (FreeREG)

Got to go out back later if possible :)

Offline melanie.c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 December 17 13:20 GMT (UK) »
This is all wonderful! Thank you, Trish :)

Regarding George William listed as a foster child, I assume this is based on the maternal relationship? Hosannah Hanks being his aunt/foster-mother. Initially, I thought that William and Hosannah may have taken on the children of a deceased relative, but then I found that William married his first wife's, Charlotte, sister- being Hosannah.

One of the Elizas \ of the Teakle-Hanks children is likely the foster daughter who emigrated with William Teakle and Hosannah Hanks (and George William), but that still leaves one unaccounted for in England.

The 1841 census inclusion of a 9mth old William throws a bit of a spanner in the works-- perhaps that's George William?

I think we can state that Enoch, Alexander, Joseph and Samuel Axon are all brothers.

For what it's worth, it appears that fostering/adoption was continued by George William. With his wife Catherine Custance, they are recorded as fostering/adopting at least two Aboriginal children in South Australia. I also suspect that as many as five of Sydney Teakle and Mary Ann Lugg's children are adopted, which is one of the reasons as to why I am trying to find the broader Teakle family connections. The adopted children of George William Teakle and Catherine Custance and the suspected adopted children of Sydney Teakle and Mary Ann Lugg were all born at the same location, which just seems too coincidental to me.

Thanks again and looking forward to seeing what else you know/find! :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 December 17 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes George William whose Baptism I found dies throw a spanner in the works.

If anyone else can help please do as I am going to be busy for the next few days.

Back after that melanie.c :)

Offline melanie.c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 December 17 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Trish :)

And no rush! It's Christmastime and that's a time for families!