Author Topic: William John Petty 12 Perry Street Chatham  (Read 4983 times)

Offline Pettyrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William John Petty 12 Perry Street Chatham
« on: Friday 30 July 04 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am trying to find info about William John Petty born 13 December 1905 addres 12 Perry Street Chatham. 

His parents: Ellen Frances Petty (Ne: Kemp) & James John Petty - Occupation: Labourer. Parents died around 1915 and William John Petty had to live with Aunt in East End London at age of 10. I have been unable to find marriage certificate which I had hoped would help.

His brother (must have been older) joined Merchant Navy but he died during WW1

Does anyone have any information about the property?  Old photos or maps?
Can anyone help with info about the Petty family in Kent.

I have found a George Edward Petty born March 1899 in Bromley but can't find connection to William James Petty yet.

Many thanks

Researching family names: Petty and Kemp between 1850 and 1918

Offline Patches

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William John Petty 12 Perry Street Chatham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 July 04 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Pettyrose

I've got an up to date map of area which shows Perry St and one of about 1900ish which is not that clear but shows area before Perry St.  Later on I'll get my hands on a scanner, not got my own, and see if I can attach them to you (that'll be interesting not done attachments yet).

Have you tried Cityark site, read the Woolton messages on this page, I think there are parish records for St Marys Chatham there, you never know you maybe lucky.

Patches
Kent - Jones, Wigley, Rigden, Philpott, Perry, Irwin, Booker, Durling, Saker, Venner, Nutting, Giles, McNalty, Burley, Crowhurst, Ford & Roots,
Sussex - Badcock,  Barden, Barham, Bridger, Carey, Courthope, Crampton, Ford, Wright, Dadswell, Okill, Elliott, Hepden, Jarrett, Foster, Marchant, Selmes and Warnett
Fife/Mayo - McNalty
Bucks - Folley & Spufford

Offline Pettyrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 July 04 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Patches

Many thanks for your message about Perry Street, I would be most interested to see the old map. 

I will check the Cityark site out.

Best of luck with the scanning but its not too bad, it depends on the software you use.

Thanks again

Pettyrose :)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 August 04 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Pettyrose

(I'm the Woolton message board that Patches mentioned in her reply).

Perry Street is a road off Ordnance Street in Chatham, just above the railway station.  It was bombed in the war, but I don't know how old the houses were before then.  If you look on streetmap.co.uk you will be able to find it.

If the older brother died in the Merchant Navy in WW1 try the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website as it may have him listed.

Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline Pettyrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 August 04 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Honeybun

Thanks for your advice.  I have looked at the ordnance maps.  Patches has also very kindly sent me the maps. 

I have also checked the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and found a Petty but was a member of the services not Merchant Navy.

At the moment I am trying, very very patiently to search Cityark site, what a nightmare but will endeavour to complete my search.

Thanks very much for help

Cheers

Pettyrose