Author Topic: 1901 census poorhouse/orphanage  (Read 6620 times)

Offline sossle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1901 census poorhouse/orphanage
« on: Friday 05 August 05 11:15 BST (UK) »
Could anyone please help?

I'm trying to find 3 children from Glasgow who were orphaned in 1895, taken in by their Grandparents until they died in 1898.

I have been on Scotlands People site & found what looks like two of them in some sort of institution in Kilmacolm in Renfrew.The top name on the list says inmate. Would it be a poorhouse or orphanage?The two boys are Frank Robertson aged 11 born Glasgow & Robert aged 14, both are on the list but it doesn't give the name of the institution. I'm looking for Joan aged 15. I'm thinking that girls & boys would be seperated.
They had older sisters & brothers & Aunts & Uncles but on the  1901 census sadly nobody seems to have taken them in so it looks like these are the ones.
Can anyone help on the name of the institution.
Thanks Sossle

Offline Ros Fornaro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census poorhouse/orphanage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 August 05 23:46 BST (UK) »
There was an orphanage for the children of mariners in Kilmacolm.  I also found two boys there in the 1901 census.  If the father was a sailor this may be the one.

Ros
Bell Coatbridge Sct
Cassels Dunbarton Lnk Sti Sct
Heggie Lnk Sct
Lusty Gls Eng Lnk Sct
McLuckie Stirling Sct
Moss Leek Sts Eng Vic Aust
Pride Gls Eng Geelong Vic Aust

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 August 05 09:44 BST (UK) »
You also have Quarriers Village - an orphanage.
Which lies between Bridge of Wier and Kilmacolm

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 August 05 11:18 BST (UK) »
Could anyone please help?

I'm trying to find 3 children from Glasgow who were orphaned in 1895, taken in by their Grandparents until they died in 1898.

I have been on Scotlands People site & found what looks like two of them in some sort of institution in Kilmacolm in Renfrew.The top name on the list says inmate. Would it be a poorhouse or orphanage?The two boys are Frank Robertson aged 11 born Glasgow & Robert aged 14, both are on the list but it doesn't give the name of the institution. I'm looking for Joan aged 15. I'm thinking that girls & boys would be seperated.
They had older sisters & brothers & Aunts & Uncles but on the  1901 census sadly nobody seems to have taken them in so it looks like these are the ones.
Can anyone help on the name of the institution.
Thanks Sossle

Sossle

Up until the late May re-launch of the scotlandspeople.gov.uk site there was a facility, for no extra charge, when viewing census images, to go back to the header pages for the enumeration book to allow the immediate answer to a question such as this, as the description of the extent of the enumeration district would name the institution. (As well it let people check the extent of the ED.)

As far as I can see the re-launched SP site doesn't have this facility, - if it's there I can't see it!!  I've got a query in to GROS/SoL/SP to find out when we can expect to see this facility restored.

ibi

Offline sossle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 August 05 07:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.
It's looking like the orphanage "Quarriers Village" is the one!
I have found a site for it   
www.bridgeofweir.org.uk
This shows photos etc of the orphanage.
I have also sent an email to Scotlands People site as I don't think it's fair we should spend a pound for a census image that doesn't tell us any info of the address or name of the institution.
Sossle

Offline SusanMacG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 September 08 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My grandfather was born in a poorhouse in Scotland, and grew up in what was Kilmacolm Orphanage at the time.  I found his name on a list for the orphanage in the 1901 Census.  His name at the time was Michael McGregor.  When he came to Canada (still trying to find out when), he changed it to Malcolm McGregor, and eventually to Malcolm MacGregor.  He lived with my parents and I for 6years after his wife died, born in Arbroath, Scotland.

I wish I could find out more about him, but so far am only able to find his birth info with his mother's name on it....whom he probably never knew. 

The only Robertson I saw on the list is a John Robertson listed as 10yrs. old in the 1901 census.

Offline cuthie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 September 08 11:38 BST (UK) »
Quarriers' Homes was very well known when I was growing up in the 50s and there were a couple of girls in my class in the 50s who were from Quarriers.  Funnily enough, both with the name Robertson although not related.  I think one must have been the daughter of a mariner as I can remember her getting very excited at one point when she knew her dad was going to be visiting her and taking her out and about a bit.   Cuthie

Offline SusanMacG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 September 08 16:00 BST (UK) »
Until recently, when I started my ancestry research of my father's side, McGregor, and lately thru British Ancestry, his mother's family, 'Michie', I knew nothing of Kilmacolm Orphanage or Quarriers Homes....interesting that you had girls from there in your class at school.  I know my grandfather worked on a ship for awhile and had an accident which caused him to limp. 

I wish I could get some photographs of my grandfather when he was a boy from when he lived there.  He was 13 in the 1901 census.

My grandmother, Isabella Michie, who came here to Canada in 1926, and they must have met here.  I now have alot of information about her other 7 siblings and some about her parents, my great grandparents.  They all grew up in Arbroath, Scotland....then moved after 1900 to Dundee.  Susan