Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Name in an early 17th C will.  (Read 1527 times)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
(*Completed with thanks*)Name in an early 17th C will.
« on: Friday 23 February 18 05:19 GMT (UK) »
I have a long way to go on this one, but trying to pick out names where I can at the moment. I have a "cheat sheet" of 17th C letters, but this one doesn't quite fit anything I can see or work out logically. I think it's John ..apman, husband of his daughter Alice. Any suggestions?

Edit - I think that I may just have answered it myself; it must be the most obvious (which was my first thought), Chapman, based on this text further down, referring to goods and chattels, which I'll attach as well...

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Re: Name in an early 17th C will
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 February 18 05:24 GMT (UK) »
And I may as well post others as I come to them...
I'm guessing this is my sister Johane - a form of Joan or Joanna or Johanna?

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 February 18 05:38 GMT (UK) »
You are correct with Chapman.  It's called a "hot-cross-bun" C.

Also correct that the second is Johane.  This is influenced by the way the female equivalent of Johanes/John is written in Latin.

It can be read as any of the names you mentioned, and she might have been known by any of them at different times.  I would put Joan in the transcript.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 February 18 05:40 GMT (UK) »
And one last one for now, before I get back to trying to work out the bits in between the names!
This one seems to talk about friends Richard Amber(?) and Thomas Springett - appearing to write the "h" in Thomas a bit differently in the second mention of his name. This seems to confirm that the squiggly E-looking character (as per my first post) must denote a small "h". My cheat sheet shows something slightly similar, although not really recognisable as the same as this one.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 February 18 05:42 GMT (UK) »
You are correct with Chapman.  It's called a "hot-cross-bun" C.

Also correct that the second is Johane.  This is influenced by the way the female equivalent of Johanes/John is written in Latin.

It can be read as any of the names you mentioned, and she might have been known by any of them at different times.  I would put Joan in the transcript.

Ah, great, thanks for that!

Now to just work out what it was exactly he was leaving to Alice, and also to "sonne" John mentioned earlier... ??? (Although less important than capturing all of the names at this point.)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 February 18 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Richard Amherst Esq(ui)(re)

Thomas Springit knighte

S(ir) Thomas Springett

There are two forms of h and two forms of r used in the clip.

ADDED:

And two forms of d & e.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 February 18 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I see. Thanks once again. That makes sense.

Just one more thing (for now, anyway!), can you make out a date amongst these words? It's the will of a John Hart(e) of Ringmer, and I know that the probate date is 15 May 1622, but does this first sentence say something about ffebruary, or am I misreading it?

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 February 18 06:12 GMT (UK) »
It's: ...the Eighth day of ffebruary...one thowsand sixe hundred and thirteene...

Note that this is an Old-Style date.  In our calendar the year is 1614.

The many words in the middle are mostly expressing the regnal year which, as it is James I, is very complicated.

It boils down to the eleventh year of his reign in England, France & Ireland and the forty-seventh year of Scotland.

I'm heading out, Lucy, so I will leave you in the hands of the forum.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 February 18 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to keep pestering but this really is the last, at least for a good while I hope. I thought I may as well snip the whole chunk and say what bits I've managed to pick out. I would like to ascertain the people and their relationships if possible.

From this bit I can see that he wants to be buried in the high "chamrell"?? of the Ringmer church, next to the [something] of his wife was buryed... (I can't make out a name, and is it implied that she's already dead and buried there?)

[Something] to Giles Sterne sonne of James(?) Sterne husband(??) of my daughter Margaret his wife, the [something or other - place?]... money to be paid...

Then I get lost - something about my executor... or/on his father and mother... and a word that could be hall...?

I don't need every single word, but would like to know if his wife is already dead, if I've missed her name, and if there's anyone else I need to know about besides the daughter Margaret who is married to Giles Sterne (and if I have that right).