Author Topic: A complicated story - do you get the same conclusion  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A complicated story - do you get the same conclusion
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 March 18 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I didn't look at the other thread and just followed the line from John Aaron Rain Kirby - in a nutshell, his birth registered as John Aaron Raine, with parents Aaron Raine and mother Ann Parkinson.

However, his parents weren't married - she had previously been married to a Kirby so when she registered her children with Aaron they should have been registered as Kirby and not Raine as Kirby was his mothers legal surname i.e. John Aaron Raine should have been John Aaron Raine Kirby which name he later became known by.

Simples!

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 March 18 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Simples!

:)

“Complicated” is when they book themselves on a vessel to New York but in fact board another ship to Montevideo under an assumed name (albeit a slightly unimaginative one), then spend the next 20 years on the run in the Amazon Basin, occasionally registering a birth in Bolivia or Brazil, before finally resurfacing for their eldest daughter’s marriage in Paraguay. (Gotta love my lot) :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 March 18 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Simples!

:)

“Complicated” is when they book themselves on a vessel to New York but in fact board another ship to Montevideo under an assumed name (albeit a slightly unimaginative one), then spend the next 20 years on the run in the Amazon Basin, occasionally registering a birth in Bolivia or Brazil, before finally resurfacing for their eldest daughter’s marriage in Paraguay. (Gotta love my lot) :)

Must be a great story behind that. What did they do to have to go on the run?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 March 18 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Groom - they went on the run because fraud had been discovered - to the tune of $5m (a very big number in 1894!).  It was quite the journey to find them, as you can imagine, though once I cracked it the evidence was eye-opening, to say the least.   At the time he and the family were being sought by US and UK authorities plus an array of mercenaries hired by disgruntled creditors.  I’d better not hijack BenRalph’s thread to be all about my dodgy gg-grandfather, though ;)

My starting information (from my mum):  “Great-granny [alias name] was married somewhere in South America.  I think her parents were originally Scottish though (hmmm...English father & Scots-American mother).  Not sure why they were over there, but you never know, it might be worth looking into”.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)