Author Topic: Williams (of Llangoed/Beaumaris) help? Please?  (Read 5798 times)

Offline sarahkatz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Williams (of Llangoed/Beaumaris) help? Please?
« on: Monday 05 March 18 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi! I'm beginning to go crosseyed from looking through all of the Williams records and have hit a wall. I'm trying to pull any/all info pertaining to my (3rd) great-grandmother, Jane Williams. Here's what I know/have thus far:

Born 1822 in Llangoed
Siblings: Catherine (b. 1809, d. 1879, unmarried); John (b. 1812, Llangoed; moved to Dorset and can be found living there in the 1841 census and until his death in 1888).
Married Maurice O'Connell (no marriage date; dropped the "O'" and was known as Jane Connell after Maurice died in 1859 in Carlisle)
Lived in Menai Bridge in 1851
Numerous children- the first among them: Elizabeth Lewis (O')Connell b.1841, John (O')Connell b.1843, Sarah (O')Connell b.1845.

I have a letter from Jane's daughter Elizabeth Lewis Connell to her brother (my 2nd great-grandfather) detailing which family members had passed since he left for the US. In said letter there is the mention of a death of an "Aunt Mary" on 5 August 1882 and lamenting the situation with her (I assume) widow, Edward. I don't know if Mary is Jane's sister (thus would be Mary Williams) or if she is the wife of Edward (who could be an Edward Hughes who afterward moved in with the daughter of a Hugh Hughes in Bangor around 1884/85) OR if both Edward and Mary are siblings of Jane. The only thing that's concrete is the birth of Jane and her siblings Catherine and John. I have proof of those.

In my search I've found a Mary Lewis, married to a William Williams who was a miller and could possibly be Jane, Catherine, and John's mother. It might fit with Elizabeth's middle name, however I don't have it as concrete fact. If any of these names sound familiar, I'm more than open for suggestion or input. OR to be told a better place to look.

Thanks!!!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Williams (of Llangoed/Beaumaris) help? Please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 March 18 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi looking at the Connell family in 1861 census RG09/3920/16/25, you have them in Menai Bridge, Anglesey in 1851? as I see in 1861:-

Jane Connell 41 Widow b Llangoed
Eliza 20 b Ireland
Sarah 15 b Ireland
Jane 13 b Ireland
George H H 5 b Cumberland
Mary A K 3 b Cumberland
Maurice 1 b Cumberland
Catherine Williams 52 Single/Sister
Residing at 33, Milburn Street, Caldewgate, Carlisle.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarahkatz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 18 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have all of the census records from 1851 on (they moved from Menai Bridge to Carlisle and then to Gateshead), I just don't have anything prior to 1851...  :( ???

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 March 18 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat, can you give details of Jane and family in Menai Bridge, Anglesey, must be me cannot locate them?
Keyboard86

Offline sarahkatz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 March 18 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I don't know that she in fact lived in Menai Bridge. That's the problem! Her family was from Beaumaris and she and her brother John were baptised in Llangoed. She was born in 1822, her brother John in 1812, and Catherine was born in 1809 (however I don't have anything that suggests she was baptised in Beaumaris).

I have the names Mary and Edward as well, however I'm unsure if Mary is one of Jane's siblings or if Edward is.

Thank you for helping me out!!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 March 18 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi if the 1861 census year of birth for Jane is c 1820 Llangoed then their is a baptism 13th February 1820 Llangoed Father Thomas occ Mariner Mother Elizabeth abode Porto Bello, also a Catherine Williams 13th September 1808 same parents.
Keyboard86

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 March 18 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi you did not mention the Jane Connell b 1848 in 1861 Carlisle an interesting family in 1851 census:-

Thomas Williams 71
Elizabeth 74
Cath 40
David 22
Mary 18
Jane O'Connell 3
Residing at Tan Y Wern, Bangor
Census ref HO107/2517/271/5
Keyboard86

Offline sarahkatz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 March 18 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Interesting!!! This is my first knowledge of said census.. I have a path to look down!

Where would I go about finding death/burial information for a Mary (Williams or Hughes) who passed on 5 August 1882? I *think* she died in Anglesey, but I'm not 100% on that yet.. the death date is correct, however.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 March 18 22:24 GMT (UK) »
OK will have a look, in 1871 census is a transcribed Luna J Steele aged 2 b Newcastle shown as Grandaughter to Jane aged 50, in 1881 Luna is Lena Jane Connell aged 12, her birth appears to be Lenna Jane Steel Dec qtr 1868 Newcastle upon Tyne mmn Connell.
Keyboard86

EDIT A Jane Lenna Connell married a William Nevison 1887 Gateshead.

Interesting family in Gateshead RG12/4176/134/14 in 1891 census?!