Author Topic: Family Tree  (Read 479 times)

Offline delen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Tree
« on: Wednesday 04 April 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
Re the free weekend on Ancestry
Great, learnt a lot, but I was disappointed that I could not access Family Trees as I found my Grandmother listed.
Does anyone know if I have to actually take out a subscription to allow me to do this.
Thanks.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
In the UK (maybe same in other countries main libraries as well) a lot of main city/town libraries have free public access to the ' Free library edition' to Ancestry. (usually limited to 1 hour usage per day )

If you can get library access (at a public  Library)- go to 'Search' in top menu in Ancestry home page,

In the dropdown box on page that comes up, go to 'Search all records'

On the next page that comes up, to the right down menu - find 'Card catalogue' and click it

Next page that comes up - at the top of the right menu- click on 'Public trees'.

Or ask library staff for help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Or join Ancestry as a deciding to be a (or you decide not to subcribe after 14 days free trial ends) subscribed member at home on 14 days free trial.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If your only reason for maybe thinking about joining Ancestry website long term is access to public trees or private trees by contacting tree owners, I would advise using the Free library edition as at a library as trees on Ancestry are renowned for being unsubstantiated info or just wrong info and copied as wrong many times by other tree owners without confirmation of accuracy of info in trees. The more times info is copied or number of trees with same info - it seems to be accepted custom of 'the info must be right !! as so many trees have the same info'.

Hope it helps.  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline delen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 13:36 BST (UK) »
Yes, it does help, thank you.