Author Topic: Islay Ancestors  (Read 21528 times)

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Islay Ancestors
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 23 May 19 22:21 BST (UK) »
its the wellington erin the flora mcearchen died 1873 there but  i checked a census  can t remember now if it was 1871  or 61 but she s with a donald mceachern the ages are right and i think theres a catherine all born in scotland i did nt find a catherine  in the 1841 islay census but she could have been born after it going by her age

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 23 May 19 22:25 BST (UK) »
i m getting forgetful there a book online about early simcoe settlers there s a few mceacherns mentioned in it a lot of it will have more meaning to you as you know the area,
just search early simcoe settlers you should find it

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 23 May 19 22:37 BST (UK) »
mceachern is a margaret we ve no idea who she is only that her ancestors went there the mcearherns on my wifes side we have nt traced outside of scotland,
but the match was found through dna testing

Offline Marlid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 25 May 19 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Ronnie
I have checked every Canadian Census since 1841 to see if there is a Flora McLean/McEachern that would match the one listed on Ancestry and I couldn’t find one.  Also looked on CanadaGenWeb's Cemetery Project for burial notice and found none.  I even used the different spellings for the surname.  I Googled the McEachern Family History in Canada and had a look at it again but nothing to match her information.  There is a Flora McLean McEachern on Scotland's People - it shows residence as Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon in Mull not Islay.  She was 100 years old when she died in 1876.  Shows her father as Allan McLean and her husband as Donald McEachern.  The father and husband match up and the year she died 1876 to the Ancestry information.  The Flora McLean posted on Ancestry was born 1791 and died 1876 which would mean she died at 85 not 100.  I do not think this is her – it shows her dying a pauper.  It seems strange the husband and father’s name are the same and the year of death but this would mean the Donald McEachern who died in Oro would not be Flora McArthur’s father and I find that hard to believe.
Marlid   

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 25 May 19 10:00 BST (UK) »
hi
   i agree with you i think the ancestry parents are highly unlikely the peter and flora are correct
but like a lot on ancestry many choose parents that they think looks most lilely without proper research,
in scotland we re spoiled as since 1855 our registration is the best i ve seen for  giving detail dates address's occupations parents wittness's and so on,
before that the parish registars are nt so good the parish records i use for islay are ones transcribed
by steve gilchrist and a ted larson from the the origional parish records,
the origional parish records are still on islay  and can be searched free at the gaelic centre,
going back to Donald and Flora the research i ve done from those records i m fairly certain the Donald and Flora your looking for are Donald mceachern and Flora currie and their daughter flora who birthdates fit and they show up on the 1841 census and disappear in from the 1851 census,
thers 1 other way to search for them to find the correct mother and that is to search for the marriages and deaths for donald and floras other children it may be possible that the parents are listed on one of them, if any of their kids remained in scotland and married or died after 1855 parents name became a legal reuirement after that but id suggest doing that on a visit to scotland
the gro in scotland has its own computor rooms for research and you can find a lot in one day,
you can get a good laff as well on one visit we had an american rolling on the floor laffin  he d found a lunatic in his familly and someone piped up with and you still have them,
don t give up though we searched for my wifes grandfathers brother for 26 years knew he d been wounded 5 times in ww1 then he just disappeared then a few months ago out of the blue we got a contact from ancestry and a lot came to light he was a piper in the war explains the woundings
and found a pictures of him on the cover of a book  then we found he d married twice illegally the second time bad lad he d added his mothers maiden name to his birth name hence the reason we could nt find him so don t give up

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 25 May 19 13:07 BST (UK) »
try finding these ones flora from tirvargan had a sister catherine
see the attachment
also the mother on it died 1873 and its states she was born islay

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 25 May 19 13:37 BST (UK) »
great news i have flora born 1826s 2 brothers in simcoe north 1781
archibald and neil both on the islay census  at tirvargan

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 25 May 19 13:44 BST (UK) »
this image is neils familly note both of their first sons are donalds

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 25 May 19 14:45 BST (UK) »
1861 census for simcoe type in neil mceachron you ll find that page very interesting
its not to clear but read the full page flora macarthurs on it
i think the mother your looking for is definnitely flora curry