Author Topic: Jean Milne 1794 to ?  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Milne 1794 to ?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Where can I get any information about Belhinney, Rhynie & Essie from do you know.
What sort of information are you looking for?

The 1855 valuation roll on SP lists George Kelman as tenant, Croft of Belhenny, Estate of Warthill. There are 10 tenants there and the proprietor is the Duke of Richmond. I believe that the estate papers of the Dukes of Richmond and Gordon are or were held at Goodwood House in the south of England, but I could be mistaken, or they might have been moved.

Photographs http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ4627 or (bigger images) http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=110437720

First edition of the six-inch Ordnance Survey map https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=57.3381&lon=-2.8857&layers=5&b=1
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Basically what you have just said Forfarian. I wasn't sure whether it was just a house or street as there were a few names there in 1841.
I have looked at the recent photos & they are quite interesting.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Basically what you have just said Forfarian. I wasn't sure whether it was just a house or street as there were a few names there in 1841.
No, not a street, definitely rural. Looks as if it was a farm that was divided into several crofts.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.
I will let you know how I get on with the mortcloth search.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Ruthleen,
Where did you get the information about James Lawson being the illegitimate son of Ann Kelman & George Lawson (carpenter) as I cannot see it on S/P.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 17:31 GMT (UK) »
From his marriage to Jessie Forsyth in 1886:

'George Lawson, carpenter (journeyman)(deceased) and Ann Kelman, domestic servant'

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruth.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 01 March 20 16:19 GMT (UK) »
In my quest to find a date of death for Jean Milne which I believed to be between 1826 (birth of Ann) & 1841 (no entry in census) I decided on a search of the Rhynnie parish cash book to see if there was an entry for a mortcloth. I did not find anything for Jean but there were 10 entries for other Milne's.
22 August 1825 Sacramental Distribution to Janet Milne, Tuichens - 8 shillings (p.13)
22 April 1827 Distress payment to Isabel Milne, Old Meldrum,- 5 shillings (p 21)
22 August 1827 Distribution to Janet Milne, late in Tuichens - 7 shillings (p 23)
20 April 1828 Distribution to Isabel Milne as per day book - 5 shillings (p 27)
18 November 1828 Distribution to Janet Milne, Tuichens - 8 shillings (p 31)
21 May 1829 Distribution to Janet Milne, late in Tuichens - 18 shillings (p 37)
17 October 1830 Collection "Penalty Milne & Stuart" no amount entered (p 42)
12 June 1831 Collection "Penalty Milne & Stuart as per day book" - £1 (p 46)
22 August 1832 Distribution to Janet Milne 10 shillings (p 53)
1 December 1833 Distribution " by Do. [funeral] Do. [expenses] Janet Milne £1 (p 59)
If they are useful to anyone's research then be my guest.
Alan