Author Topic: Merchant Navy - Vessel "Fortitude" 1861-1863  (Read 896 times)

Offline Daryl_P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Merchant Navy - Vessel "Fortitude" 1861-1863
« on: Thursday 05 April 18 18:56 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Ambrose Honey, then age 17, joined the Merchant Navy on 30 Sep 1861.  He was indentured for a term of 4 years on the vessel "Fortitude" in the port of Rochester.  By December, 1863 he was in New Hampshire, United States where he joined the Union Army under a different name.

How can I get information on the travels of the Vessel Fortitude (ship number 2666) during this period?  Where did the ship go between September 1861 and December 1963?  I assume that is the ship that brought him to the United States and would like to know any U.S. or Canadian ports visited and dates.  Would ship records show when and where he left the ship? 

Any information will be greatly appreciated.  Daryl
In England - Honey, Mace, Steptoe, Tull, Greenyer, Ayres, Walker

In USA - Polley, Thacker, Ford, Carey, Applegate, Spriggs, Peacock, Morgan, Caudill, Coyle, Robiinson, Boone...

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy - Vessel "Fortitude" 1861-1863
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 April 18 20:23 BST (UK) »
Lloyds List is the source I think you'll need. Some guidance here - but no doubt more knowledgeable people will improve my tentative reply: http://www.maritimearchives.co.uk/lloyds-list.html
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy - Vessel "Fortitude" 1861-1863
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 April 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
The 1861 and 1862 Crew Agreements/Logbooks are at the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich UK.
You should be able to get hold of copies by filling in this form.
https://www.rmg.co.uk/national-maritime-museum/caird-library/crew-lists-agreements-official-logs-request-form
Her 1863 Crew Agreements are at the Maritime History Archive, Memorial University of Newfoundland.
https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=2666
FORTITUDE, official number 2666 was built at Sunderland in 1804, she was still sailing at least to 1880, so a testament to her builders.
She was primarily a Home Trade vessel, IE, trading in UK coastal waters and maybe to the near continent. She would not be mentioned in Lloyd's List which only concerned Foreign going vessels but it may be worth checking in case she did sail to North America in 1863.
The University of Louisville, may have copies.
Given his status as apprentice there would be little about him in the Crew Agreements/logbooks but they may give you an indication on where she sailed. They should also mention when your ancestor left the ship.
Given the above plus her relatively small tonnage the chances of her sailing to the US are slim indeed. My guess his he deserted FORTITUDE and came to the US aboard another vessel.
Could you tell me where the information you have came from?
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022