Author Topic: Thomas Holloway - 1944 Wolverhampton Grave Search  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Nancy Galvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas Holloway - 1944 Wolverhampton Grave Search
« on: Saturday 07 April 18 00:38 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to local the grave of my grandfather, Thomas Holloway of 60 Lytton Ave, Penn, Wolverhampton (b.1900 d. 22 March 1944)  His death certificate lists 376 Wolverhampton as place of death (New Cross Hospital?) but I am unable to locate any information about burial location. I've tried searching Wolverhampton cemeteries online with no success.  Will have 2 days in the UK in June, 2018 to search churchyards, any tips would be much appreciated.
Thomas was with the RAF during WWI.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Holloway - 1944 Wolverhampton Grave Search
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 April 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Nancy
Welcome to Rootschat :)
Could you give a few more details, do you know his date of birth? Records suggest he was born 17th March 1900 and married an Anne.
There is a record for a Thomas Holloway born 17th March 1900 in the RAF with same birthdate but he puts his place of birth as London, though I think he is a different Thomas H.
Do you have his parents names and place of birth?
Best wishes
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 April 18 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Nancy and welcome to Rootschat.

You could contact Bereavement Services in Wolverhampton and give them the details on the death certificate, they should be able to tell you where he is buried.

Contact details here
http://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/article/2475/Contact-Bereavement-Services

From their website:-
"The burial records and registers for our cemeteries are held at the Bereavement Centre at the Civic Centre."
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Nancy Galvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 April 18 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Cathy,

I think we have the same Thomas Holloway. His British Passport shows his birthdate as 17 March 1900, and lists London as birthplace. We've never known about a middle initial "H", but we don't have a birth certificate to hand. Anne Rinkl was his spouse. To my knowledge, his father was Walter Holloway, his mother was Mary.   Thomas was also a member of a Masonic Lodge (1936). Thank you for your interest and for any assistance you might provide.

Best- Nancy

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 April 18 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks, was nt meaning to be nosy , just thought he may have been buried with family or in a different area, possibly London? He did nt have a middle initial ,I abbreviated Holloway as H.
Good hunting :)
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Nancy Galvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 April 18 19:34 BST (UK) »
Cathy,
No, you're not being nosy at all! It very kind of you to reply. 
We don't know of any family member he may have been buried near. His only child, Beatrice became the war-bride of a US solder (William Bartek) in Britain, training for the D-Day Invasion. After the war, both mother & daughter reunited with William B in the US, eventually becoming citizens. 
For reasons unknown, scant information was passed on by either either woman regarding their spouse/father Thomas Holloway. We have a small (Wolverhampton?) newspaper clipping announcing that his funeral had taken place. It has a few details regarding his education & professional career, but it gives no clue as to where the funeral or the burial may have taken place.
Thanks again-
Nancy

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 April 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Nancy,

Did you see my earlier post (reply #2).  If you send an email to Wolverhampton Bereavement Services with the death cert details, they will email you back with his burial place.  They should not charge for this service. (see the link in the post for the email address).

Jool
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Nancy Galvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 April 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Jool,

Yes, I did see your link, and thank you so much for that!  Hope to have an answer soon!
Best- Nancy