Author Topic: Samuel Pindar of Kilham Born 1820 & Samuel Pinder Banns of 1843 Burton Agness  (Read 1142 times)

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing information that would confirm these two individual are one and the same.

The Kilham Register of 1813-1891 has him baptized there on November 13th, 1820 . "Son of John and Mary Pinder"
I  also have a Samuel Pinder Baptized in Kilham on 4 March 1816 to a John Pinder & Mary from the  "England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

The Burton Agnes Register has his Banns dated March 18th 1843,  a Samuel Pindar, son of John Pindar, farmer Pindar. It also states that he is from Burton Agnes, but I find no entry of his birth or baptism here.

Are these two people one and the same?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Pindar of Kilham Born 1820 & Samuel Pinder Banns of 1843 Burton Agness
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 April 18 22:50 BST (UK) »
Should be on the Yorkshire board - will ask moderator to move it for you

Have you checked the 1851 census to see where he gives as his birthplace/birthyear?  He married in the Bridlington RD which covers Burton Agnes but not Kilham

The 1851 has a Samuel Pindar b 1820 Kilham married to Frances (nee Seller) based on GRO search on daughter Charlotte b 1850.  Frances was b Burton Agnes

1843 marriage has a Martha Sellar/Sellars on same page

It's more than likely that he was living in Burton Agnes when the banns were read and as long as he satisfied the 3 weeks residential requirement he would be shown as of that parish
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Pindar of Kilham Born 1820 & Samuel Pinder Banns of 1843 Burton Agness
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 April 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
I made a typo, which I have since corrected..Somewhere I put John when it should have been Samuel.
Also I have some dates wrong: 
The Baptism dates in the Kilham Parish Register of 1813-1891 and the The England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 are actually the same (has him baptized on born on March 4th, 1816)

Regarding the 1851 census: I came across a Samuel Pindar, which states was born in Kilham. It has Samuel as being 31 and an estimated birth year of 1820.  He is married at that time to a Francis Pindar, born in Burton Agnes, also 31. They have a daughter, Jane 8 yrs, and Charlotte 8 months. He is listed as an agricultural laborer. The Civil Parish of this Census was Haisthorpe .

This information does not align perfectly with the Samuel Pinder in the Kilham Parish Register of 1813-1891 where he is born on March 4th, 1816.

The  Burton Agnes Parish Registers has Samuel Pindar , aged 25, getting married to a Martha Sellar, in 1843 (aged 24, spinster) of Burton Agnes.  Strangely, there is an 8 year difference between the census year (1851) and the Burton Agnes marriage to Martha Sellar (1843). That is the age of their eldest child in the 1851 census, Jane Pinder.

So, you are saying that the Samuel Pinder was born in Kilham in 1816. That Francis and Martha are the same person?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 April 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
The 1851 entry shows her as Frances but there is no marriage to a Frances.  Charlotte’s birth reg shows her mother’s maiden name as Seller hence the 1843 marriage entry to Martha.

Have you found them in 1861/71?

Presume you have the full 1843 marriage entry what was Martha’s fathers name and who were the witnesses?

Are you descended from one of their children?  If so - what was that child’s birth year/birthplace so mother’s maiden name can be checked

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 April 18 14:12 BST (UK) »
I'm coming up empty with the 61 and 71 census. I found a  Samuel Pindar in the 1841 census for Thwing. It has him at 20 years of age, which would make it a match. His listed trade or profession is indicated as what I believe is a "ML" (Manual Laborer?) I believe he's working on a farm owned or leased by a Thomas Vickerman. 
I tried finding anything on his children Charlotte and Jane, but have so far come up empty.
If this Samuel is really the son of John Pinder (1749-1823) of Kilham, perhaps he emigrated like his brother Stephen and William to Canada, but again, found nothing yet. (Maybe he went to the US).
I'm not convinced this Samuel is the Son of John Pinder and Mary Clark of Kilham. Seems a bit unlikely John had a child at the age of 67. Mary would have been 43. Not impossible but..

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 May 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
The 1843 marriage cert shows his father as John