Author Topic: John Bolton bigamist Court appearance 1970's?  (Read 676 times)

Offline ceebeeman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Bolton bigamist Court appearance 1970's?
« on: Monday 07 May 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
 I never knew my parents as put into care in 1954 aged two. Researching on ancestry and contacted by cousin I never knew, who informed me that I had a sister and brother born in the 60's. My mother never got divorced until the mid 80's but have found that my father married again in 1963. I am awaiting cert. in the post. Today have been told that my father was charged with bigamy. I have no dates, courts. Where do I start looking and how do I proceed.
Many thanks in anticipation.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Bolton bigamist Court appearance 1970's?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 May 18 15:17 BST (UK) »
If you Father married bigamously then he never actually married, so no certificate should be issued because it should be marked as such. 

Google search gives lots of suggestions as to how to proceed, including:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=215988.0

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: John Bolton bigamist Court appearance 1970's?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 09:12 BST (UK) »
If you Father married bigamously then he never actually married, so no certificate should be issued because it should be marked as such. 

There is such a process, at least in theory, but I have numerous certificates from marriages known to be bigamous (and with convictions at court) and I've yet to have one refused, or see a register entry that has been annotated as bigamous, though no doubt they do exist.

I have a copy of a note from the Registrar General in papers relating to a bigamous marriage  about whether such an entry should be removed from a register (in series RG48 at TNA) where it is stated that:

A marriage entry is not a guarantee that a valid marriage subsists between the parties specified, it is a record of the fact that a marriage was celebrated between certain persons after fulfilment of all the requirements of the law.

Which suggests that the RG was not that concerned about later issues about the legality of a marriage - just recording the event that took place on the day.