Author Topic: Baptism -Morris Amos Vickery Bradbury  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Susan Hall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Baptism -Morris Amos Vickery Bradbury
« on: Sunday 13 May 18 22:49 BST (UK) »
All records Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Birth certificate
Morris Amos Vickery Bradbury b 22nd Nov 1916 Dunrobin, Garfield Road, Paignton
Mother Isabella Bradbury- General nurse- same address
No father named

According to his son and granddaughter, Morris was adopted very soon after his birth and when he married in 1937 and died  in 1945 (from TB when his son was 5) he was Morris Amos Vickery and Bradbury had disappeared. They know very little else about him, such as his occupation was or whether he served in WW2.

The info' on the birth certificate is all the information we have regarding Morris' birth mother. A search of births between 1866 and 1900 revealed only 10 Isabella Bradbury's. Out of those the only one I can find in Devon on any census was born in Manchester in 1880 and is on the 1911 census aged 30 and single living with her Mother and Father in Warren House, Warren Road, Tormoham (Torquay?)The transcript says Broadbury, but it's clearly Bradbury.

There's an I Bradbury in the telephone directory at Warren House  1927-30.
I can't find her or Morris on the 1939 register.
There's a death record for 1946 in Nottingham where the age fits.
The General Nurse on the birth certificate is a good clue, but I wouldn't know where to start looking for that info'.

Just wondering if there might be a baptism record for a Morris Amos Vickery in Devon around 1916/17?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism -Morris Amos Vickery Bradbury
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 May 18 07:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

If Morris was in the forces at the beginning of WW2 he would not appear on the 1939 register. 
His records will still be with the MOD  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0

I think the 1911 Isabella living in Tormoham is a good candidate for his mother, needs further investigation  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 May 18 08:39 BST (UK) »
the only one I can find in Devon on any census was born in Manchester in 1880 and is on the 1911 census aged 30 and single living with her Mother and Father in Warren House, Warren Road, Tormoham (Torquay?)The transcript says Broadbury, but it's clearly Bradbury.

From GenUKI:
"TORQUAY was originally a hamlet by the quay, but development from the late 18th century (the population of this parish increased over thirteen-fold between 1801 and 1851) has resulted in the town of Torquay embracing the whole parish of Tormohun and extending into the neighbouring parishes of St Marychurch and Cockington.

The Parish of Tor-Moham, or Tor-Mohum, comprises about 2000 acres of land, occupying most of that bold promontory which projects eastward into the English Channel, about three miles in length, and two in breadth, to Hope's Nose, the point which divides Torbay and Babbicombe Bay"
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 May 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
The probate index https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills  has an entry for that Nottingham death

Isabella Bradbury of Victoria Station Hotel Nottingham -Spinster- died 17 January 1946 at the General Hospital, Nottingham.
Probate to Wilfred Stewart Rothera & John Henry Husbands, solicitors.  Effects £288 4s 11d

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 May 18 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hello
Morris is on the 1939 index but indexed as Morris Amos Vickerg on FindMyPast and Vickers Ancestry
It gives an occupation and a Military join up to an organisation I've not heard of.
It's in Paignton and there is a black line on the other person in the house.
He married at Totnes in 1937 to Doris C(harlotte) Trevassa so it's likely it is her.
It looks like she remarried Mar qtr 1946 at Totnes to a Kenneth Martin.(I'm assuming 19.7.1918-Dec 1987 Torbay).
She died Sep 1995 Torbay .Birth 5.5.51918.
All of which you probably know but the 1939 does give a bit more info.

As for Isabella Bradbury at Warren House Tormoham she's on the 1923 Electoral roll as Miss Isabella Bradbury.
Also there is Emma Bradbury.
Her mother Emma Bradbury died Dec 1929 so that may explain the move.
Isabella's durial/cremation is on deceased on line so that may have more info.
There is a family tree for them on Ancestry and they may know more.

ps I did wonder if Dad could be Amos Vickery soldier from Wiveliscombe who died 29.8.1917 at Taunton on the army Service Corps.He met with an accident at the Depot in Shirehampton and died of paralysis in Hospital at Bristol .His death is announced in the Tauton Courier .Born 1886.
He'd married in 1909 so would not be in a position to marry Isabella.In Civies he was a Publican.

Ciderdrinker

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 May 18 11:07 BST (UK) »
Cremation does not give much more information. Ashes appear to have been released to J H Brownlee MD his address same hospital that she died and scattered in Garden of Rest.

Offline Susan Hall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 May 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome rosie99. I did wonder if soldiers might be missing from the 1939 register.
I think she's a good candidate and I'd seen the probate record for 1946. Morris had died the year before. I wonder what took her to Nottingham after 1930? Not even where her family were from originally (lots of Bradbury's in Lancashire and surrounding counties). I suppose if she was a nurse she could have moved because of WW2, ie working in a hospital in Nottingham perhaps.I need to check when her siblings died and see if I can find them on the 1939 register
 According to another family tree, her father, Joseph who died in 1921 left £9000 to "his spinster daughter Isabella Bradbury", but I can't view the record image on that tree (membership level again!) and I can't find the record on probate search. I did find Isabella's probate record.
ciderdrinker- thank you so much! I'll look that record up. Yes, that information regarding Morris' wife is correct.
Yes, I have Emma (nee Rawsthorne) as her mother. So she was living there with her mother in 1923 and yes, her mothers death might explain why she moved. On the 1911 census it states 10 rooms, so a big house. Can't locate a Warren House on the old or current OS maps. Did you find any records for Isabella between 1916 and 1923? I was thinking about the fact that Morris was born in a boarding house and wondered if she became estranged from her family when she became pregnant, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I wonder if  she moved back into the family home after her father died in 1921?
Thanks everyone for all the replies. :D

Offline Susan Hall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 May 18 11:35 BST (UK) »
Help! :'(
ciderdrinker- I can that 1939 record in the index but I don't have a subscription. When you said "Vickery Ancestry" did you mean he's Vickery on the 1939 register on Ancestry? If you did I can't get Ancestry to pull up the record?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 May 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
Try searching Ancestry https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/

Type in Morris Amos in 'first & middle names box' leave rest of form blank