Author Topic: Elizabeth Tozer  (Read 3464 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Tozer
« on: Monday 14 May 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I believed that Elizabeth was born in 1809, in Staverton. Sadly, after reviewing my research and having traced the Tozers (well, the Lapthorne family that was from her mother) in Staverton back to 1632, I discovered this was not my Elizabeth Tozer :( she married John Ellis and their child Harriett had a middle name of Tozer and it was her mother's maiden name too according to the GRO. However, Staverton is a small village, so I'm sure there must be an overlap somewhere - provided mine is from Staverton.

My Elizabeth Tozer married William Kerswill Wyatt in Plymouth in 1828. She gives her year of birth as around 1806 in 1851,  and 1808 in 1861, with a birthplace of Hamerton. Can anyone help me?

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Tozer
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 May 18 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
witnesses on marriage Cecillia Tozer and John Tozer

Ciderdrinker

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 May 18 13:26 BST (UK) »
I saw that but I can't find any christenings for Cecilia  ??? (chose the most memorable name). Couldn't find a marriage for a John and Cecilia Tozer.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 May 18 13:30 BST (UK) »
Perhaps Cecilia was not married to John Tozer  :-\

From familysearch
Samuel Tozer
Siselia Plymsell
Marriage date 07 Jan 1805
Crediton,Devon
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N25F-MZT
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 May 18 13:53 BST (UK) »
What I meant was I searched for a baptism for a Cecilia Tozer on the assumption she was a blood relative, but as I couldn't find any, I looked to see if she was the wife of the John Tozer who was a witness.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 May 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
Oh, I see now. Thanks for that record.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 May 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
There's a non conformist baptism at Totnes
Elizabeth Windcatt Tozer d of John Robert  and Elizabeth Tozer born 27 Mar 1808 bapt 22 May.
The Vicar is J Windcatt.
sister Mary Skinner Tozer at Plymouth Presbyterian Indep 13 Apr 1809 bapt 11 Aug 1809

Possible brother and sisters  Sarah born 17.8.1811 bapt  July 16th 1812 of St Peters at Bristol Calvanist  and  Samuel Robert born 22.12.1813 of St Phillips Bristol at the Calvanist Meth Chapel,Emily 20.1.1815 bapt 6 Feb 1815.

John Robert Tozer of St Phillips Bristol married Elizabeth Windcatt at Berry Pomeroy 18.6.1807

In 1841 there is a Celia Tozer age 25 F.S. at Tormoham who might be Cecilia.
Can't see Samuel and Sisella

Ciderdrinker

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 May 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks! Is this Elizabeth Windcatt Tozer likely to be her? She married in the Church of England and never used a middle name, but I have a few ancestors who didn't use theirs when marrying.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 May 18 14:25 BST (UK) »
And also, what nonconformist church was the 1808 christening at?