Author Topic: WILLIAM BADCOCK of Dry Drayton  (Read 3243 times)

Offline kdc650

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
WILLIAM BADCOCK of Dry Drayton
« on: Monday 08 August 05 00:49 BST (UK) »

Is anything known about William Badcock, as found in court in 1876?

Keith Chandler

* The Cambridge Chronicle, 1 July 1876, page 8.

PETTY SESSIONS.
CAMBRIDGE DIVISION, June 24.

...RAMPTON.- William Badcock, fiddler, Dry Drayton, was summoned at the instance of Daniel Payne, publican, Cotenham, for causing a dog to be cruelly ill-treated at Rampton, on June 19. He did not appear, and steps are to be taken to bring him before the court.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM BADCOCK of Dry Drayton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 August 05 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith
In Census 1881: This is the only William BADCOCK in Dry Drayton:
I wonder if his dwelling somehow fits with him being a (sometimes?) fiddler by occupation? Assuming there is no other definition of a "Fiddler" apart from the obvious?

Dwelling:   Caravan On Village Green Census Place:   Over, Cambridge, England
Source:CENSUS 1881: FHL Film 1341385     PRO Ref RG11    Piece 1607    Folio 29    Page 24
Name / Rel /Marr / Age / Sex / Birthplace / Occ
William BADCOCK   Head / M / 45 / M / Dry Drayton, Cambridge / Ag Lab
Mary A. BADCOCK   Wife / M / 42 / F / Toft, Cambridge, England //

Cheers
Anne
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline lionelbadcock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 16:52 BST (UK) »
I have William Badcock of Dry Drayton in my tree b. 1836. His father was Willim Badcock b. 1799 in Toft, Cambridgeshire. d. 6 Nov 1878 in Dry Drayton.

Could this be who you are looking for?

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 08:38 BST (UK) »
Check the online newspaper sites.   He often gets a mention as a general nuisance and petty criminal who likes a drink or several.

19 November 1870, Cambridge Independent Press
"Dry Drayton.—William Badcock was charged with allowing a mare to stand on the highway without anyone to attend to it. Fined 2s. 6d. and expenses."

29 June 1878, Cambridge Independent Press
"DRUNKENNESS. William Badcock, of Dry Drayton, was charged by E.S. Wilderspin with being drunk and disorderly at Longstanton, on the 10th inst. P.s. Wilderspin said: On the day in question, at about ten o’clock in the evening, I heard a noise...."

13 July 1888, Cambridge Independent Press
"THREATENED A TRAVELLER. William Badcock, described as a traveller, belonging to Dry Drayton, was charged remand from the Occasional Court House on the 3rd lust., with threatening Emma ..."

Available from any of the sites that provide newspapers, e.g. FindMyPast, GenesR, or the Newspaper Archives site themselves.

There are quite a few.  It'd take a while to check/double check each offender is the same fella and not his father/son/brother (on the basis he's likely to be named after his father/uncle and to name his own kids the same).

ALSO:
Looks like somebody else has plotted him, from birth to death, including a hospital visit and his two marriages, here - about half way down this PDF.
http://www.etma.org.uk/musicianpdf/1831-1840.pdf
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.