Author Topic: The Rome family  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Jenny1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
The Rome family
« on: Wednesday 06 June 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
A few years ago I did this family history for my friend's dad but unfortunately he has lost it so I am trying to piece it back together for him. I had some great help from a couple of people but I can't make head or tail of my notes. This is what I am trying to find:

According to his headstone (in Dornock) JOHN ROME was born 1772 and "married" Georgina Gordon ( I can't find a marriage). He was buried with THOMAS ROME b 1734 who married Elizabeth Bell. I assumed Thomas/Elizabeth were his parents but I've now found a baptism for John but father is named as JOHN which is confusing me!!

I was wondering if anyone had researched this family and could help.

Jenny

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: The Rome family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 June 18 00:00 BST (UK) »
I think if John was the son of Thomas it would be unusual for the MI not to show the relationship i.e. their son or similar although I may be wrong?

What were the names of Johns' children in order?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Jenny1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
The children of John & Georgina are

Thomas 1811    Matthew 1812   Margaret 1816  Elizabeth 1818  Robert 1826 and William 1828.

According to the baptism I found, John's parents were JOHN & Elizabeth Bell, but as he is buried with Thomas who was married to Elizabeth Bell, I wondered if John died and Elizabeth then married Thomas who might have been his brother????? Just wish I could find marriages for both couples.

Jenny

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 June 18 23:22 BST (UK) »
According to his headstone (in Dornock) JOHN ROME was born 1772 and "married" Georgina Gordon ( I can't find a marriage). He was buried with THOMAS ROME b 1734 who married Elizabeth Bell. I assumed Thomas/Elizabeth were his parents 
I've now found a baptism for John but father is named as JOHN which is confusing me!!

I think you've found a baptism for 'a' John which may not necessarily be your John?

Not all children were baptised & not all records have survived.

If the 'scottish naming pattern' was used then it's very highly likely you're looking at a wrong baptism?

Thanks for the names of the children & I will add the naming pattern which looks to have been in use !?

Thomas 1811 (Paternal g/f)   
Matthew 1812 (Maternal g/f)
(Possibly a missing birth here & male although a female who dii/dy is also possible & next female named the same after maternal g/m)?
Margaret 1816 (Maternal g/m)
Elizabeth 1818 (Paternal g/m) 
(Large gap here with possibly at least 2 children missing)?
Robert 1826 
William 1828

I think the reason there was no indication of relationship was down to £s as each letter costs?

Of course I don't know for sure but there's a hint of the 'pattern' there?

Annie

Add, when did John & Georgina die, was it pre 1861 census?

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Jenny1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 June 18 14:32 BST (UK) »
John died 1856 and Georgina died in 1862. On the 1861 census she is living with unmarried son William and a grandson John.

Thanks for working out the naming pattern. Never thought of doing that before.

Jenny

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 June 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Death on scotlandspeople site;

ROME JOHN 83
BELL (mms)
819/ 8 Dornock (Dumfries)

Should confirm the name of his father

Annie

Offline Jenny1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 June 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help Annie.

Jenny  :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 June 18 23:51 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find a death for Georgina in 1862 but this looks to be her & possibly known as Gina which morphed into Jean(a) without the 'a'?
This should confirm her to be the widow of John but there's no matching ref. no. with m/s i.e. I would expect whoever registered her death didn't know those relevant details & no age showing (not even a guess)? but of course I may have the wrong person?
If indeed it's Georgina, I wouldn't expect her parentage to have been known going by what's on the index?

scotlandspeople.gov.uk

ROME JEAN 1864
819/ 15 Dornock (Dumfries)

Annie

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 June 18 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny
I have a photo of the gravestone at Dornock, if you send me a PM with your email address I can email you a copy.
Georgina Rome died in September 1862 at Windermere, Annan; her death seems to be indexed in scotlandspeople as Jemima, but is definitely the right one. Parents Francis Gordon labourer and Helen Halliday.

Robbiesmum