Author Topic: John Tuckwood/Mary Cook  (Read 740 times)

Offline maggie.mae

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Tuckwood/Mary Cook
« on: Tuesday 26 June 18 14:28 BST (UK) »
Afternoon everyone.
I have been looking for the parents of my 3 x Grt G'father and I think I may have found them.
William Tuckwood married Amy Dring 1779 in Welby aged 24 yrs (as per marriage entry) That would give his bap. 1755ish. On his marriage entry it says "of Manthorpe nr Grantham"
I have found a bap. of Will Tuckwood 4th Feb 1753 Melton Mowbray Leicestershire, parents John Tuckwood and Mary ? Manthorpe and Grantham are in the same area as Melton Mowbray.
 Before I can claim this as my ancestor could someone see if there is a burial or another marriage of Will,please? I have tried a few sites but can't find anything.
I have a marriage of John Tuckwood and Mary Cook 31st March 1745 Kirby Bellars/Somerby Leicestershire, again in the Melton Mowbray area.
I have a bap of Mary Cook 26th July 1724, born 3rd July 1724. No sign of John.
Many thanks
Maggie

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: John Tuckwood/Mary Cook
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 15:51 BST (UK) »
There are many different Tuckwood and Cook families in that area of Leicester ( and Rutland) so I would say be careful of 'claiming' ones you found based on just a name 'fitting' your dates
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
There is a John Taggwood/Tugwood son of John and Anne baptised in Melton on 8th January 1725.

The nearest name for a marriage is John Toogood to Anne Smart in Melton on 8th May 1721.

There are several Toogood, Tuggwood, Tugwood, Tugg-Wood baptisms to a John and Anne.

David

Offline maggie.mae

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 21:38 BST (UK) »
I would never do that,iluleah. William 1753 who could have married Amy named his daughter, Mary, that's why I thought I would explore that thread. The Rutland Tuckwoods are not my family and his children were all born Welby Lincolnshire. His son's family were all born St Marys ,Nottingham. As Manthorpe, Grantham, Kirby Bellars and Somerby are not many miles away from Melton Mowbray it could all be a possibility.

Hello David.
Any William or Will about 1750/55?

Maggie

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 13:43 BST (UK) »
On 4th July 1749 at Melton, there is a William Tugwood, B***d son of Elizabeth - possibly the daughter of John and Anne Tuggwwod, baptised in Melton on 28th August 1724

Also Will in 1753, son of John and Mary, and William Tuggwood on 26th February 1743, son of James and Mary, nee Orton. All records of James and Mary are Tuggwood.

There was a William Twickwwod at Knipton, near Grantham, in 1755. I don't know if this is likely to be a variation, but there are no other records of family used this spelling.

David

Offline maggie.mae

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 13:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you,David. Where did you find the William Twickwwod 1755 Knipton nr. Grantham,please?
Maggie

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 16:19 BST (UK) »
The images are on Findmypast but it is also on Familysearch - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPWB-KV8Q

If you enter a general search on Twickwood on Familysearch it will give the results and Tuckwood as a variation.

There are burials for the parents but no further records for the children. It could be that it is a variation of another name, possibly Tuckwood, but I can't find any definite proof.

David

Offline maggie.mae

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you David, I will look into that.
Maggie