Author Topic: Beginner- need help. "Rockeby" 54, Leigham Court Rd, 1930  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Montymongo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beginner- need help. "Rockeby" 54, Leigham Court Rd, 1930
« on: Thursday 28 June 18 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,
My mother was born June 15th, 1930 at 54 Leigham Court Road, adopted 3/30/1931. Her mother was listed as Amy Jackson,
60, Hilldrop Crescent, Islington. I have contacted Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court but they told me to email but that they doubted that the records go back that far. No response to the email.

I live in the USA so it is a little difficult for me to make lots of phone calls. Does anyone know how I could go about finding the adoption records? Or, failing that, how I could get more info. on Amy Jackson?
I would really appreciate any help, thank you.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner- need help. "Rockerby" Leigham Court Rd, 1930
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 June 18 06:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Monty - Welcome to Rootschat.

A couple of websites for you to explore

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records

Make sure you read all the sections with the above.

http://www.ukbirthadoptionregister.com/

http://www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk/Channels/

Have a read through the website links that I have given you.  Hopefully one of them will give you the help that you need.

Other Rootschatters may have other suggestions which will be helpful, particularly anyone who has been through this process themselves.

Good Luck   :)  :)
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 June 18 07:05 BST (UK) »
Just for information, on the 1929 ER's living at 60 Hilldrop Crescent were Albert and Gladys Mady, Leonard and Winifred Moore, Doris Pearson, and Alice and Clarence Phelps.
Sorry, got to go to work, now.

Welcome to rootschat.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 June 18 09:46 BST (UK) »
There do seem to be at least two Mother and Baby homes in Leigham Court Road. Do you have the actual address where she was born?

Here is one site and it does say their adoption files were transferred to Croydon Council.

http://www.christianfamilyconcern.org.uk/family-history/

Another home was St Anne Mother and Baby Home, 144 Leigham Court Road, mentioned here

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/list/MB7.shtml
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Montymongo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 June 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for the help.
I did get Mum's birth certificate and adoption certificate, this is how I learned that she was born at 54, Leigham Court. I am guessing that Amy Jackson was sent to live with a friend or relative whilst pregnant.
I am hoping that if the court record still exists I might be able to get a little more info. perhaps age? or maybe, an actual home address? Does anyone know what details a court record might reveal? The thought of trying to find an Amy Jackson, with no other details seems daunting >:(  I have just done an Ancestry DNA, something might show up.
Any other thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner- need help. "Rockeby" 54, Leigham Court Rd, 1930
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 June 18 18:10 BST (UK) »
That first link I gave you ran the house at 54, Leigham Court Road. That gives you details of where to get information if it still exists

Adoption
When we ceased to be an adoption agency in 1992, all our adoption files were transferred to Croydon Council. If you or the person you are enquiring about was adopted through one of our former agencies, a file may exist there and enquiries can be made through:

Then it gives an address, telephone number and email. Worth contacting them first.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 June 18 19:29 BST (UK) »
Have you researched the Amy Jackson,and family living in Islington in 1911
you never know she may have been alreasy living in the area prior to her babies birth
there is one born in 1903,who marries in 1925 and the other born 1911 Islington with the middle name Vera,parents Charles and Lillie
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 June 18 19:35 BST (UK) »
I am guessing that Amy Jackson was sent to live with a friend or relative whilst pregnant.

The place where your mother was born was a Mother and Baby Home, some distance from Islington - it was in Streatham, South London. So her birth would have been registered there, not in Islington.

Offline Montymongo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 June 18 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
@ Groom, I have sent an application to the adoption inquiry in Croydon. Mum's birth was registered in Wandsworth.  Amy Jackson gave her home address on the birth certificate in Islington.

@ Radcliff, I have not researched Amy Jackson yet. I thought I would wait and see if I could get a little more info. first. From my research, Rockeby would take girls ages 18-30, from reputable families. So, I'm guessing Jackson is a maiden name. However, Amy Vera Jackson, 1911, could well be a possibility. Thank you for that.

So, I will wait patiently, or at least try, until I hear back from the court and Croydon.
Many thanks again to all of you who responded, I really, really appreciate it.
My mother past away on June and this quest is really helping me.