Author Topic: Walter Collins  (Read 4904 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Collins
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 14 July 18 06:07 BST (UK) »
Walters family also later on lived in Geelong so hence confusion on my behalf.

Freya could you elaborate on this.   Who lived in Geelong?

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 14 July 18 08:15 BST (UK) »
For your tree :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 14 July 18 08:32 BST (UK) »
I think you have some Australian Royalty in your tree ;)  I found a newspaper report of a Robert COLLINS of Durham who committed forgery by falsifying a gift deed and was transported to Tasmania for 15 years in 1843. His master [employer] was Mr Stafford.  His age in 1844  matches Robert's on the 1841 census.  Noted initally married with two children then later noted three children.   Could read and write and native [born] of Worcester. 

Read it and see what you think.  Remember Robert and Walter were not with parents on the 1851 census.
http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON33-1-49,268,86,F,60

I'll post the Durham newspaper item if you think it is your Robert.  Could his presence in Tasmania one of the reasons Walter and Rebecca emigrated?  Further investigation required.

Robert COLLINS was granted a Certificate of Freedom in 1853 and in 1858 a Robert COLLINS, clerk,  47 years [born c1811 same as Robert COLLINS on 1841 census], married.  When he died his Will only mentions Ann, his widow.  He died in 1876 and was a licensed victualler born England.

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We build our pedigrees based on the proofs we find
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 14 July 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
Cando,
  It all seem's to apply to convict records for Robert Collins! The only question is did he remarried again to a Ann in Tassie and maybe have a further family, leaving his first wife in England ?
Regarding "Geelong" see attachment.
Also a previous email requested ages of Walters sons on his death from DC, they were Robert 34 and Thomas 32, there was no relative informant on DC...
Brooker, Creagh Curran, Ellingsen, Evans, Hatton, Ryan, Slade, Campbell, Flett

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We build our pedigrees based on the proofs we find
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 14 July 18 16:21 BST (UK) »
Have noted the will of Ann collins 1878 who was a licensed victualler in Hobart, Widow wife of Robert Collins she had been married before, all in her will was left to her son Patrick Mcavoy..
Brooker, Creagh Curran, Ellingsen, Evans, Hatton, Ryan, Slade, Campbell, Flett

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 15 July 18 00:46 BST (UK) »
The only question is did he remarried again to a Ann in Tassie and maybe have a further family, leaving his first wife in England ?
Regarding "Geelong" see attachment

A death of a grandson's wife in 1992 is a pretty remote event from a death in 1922 or 1907 ;)

Also a previous email requested ages of Walters sons on his death from DC, they were Robert 34 and Thomas 32, there was no relative informant on DC...

I think you meant reply/post not email. 
You previously wrote
Children Robert Biddulph aged 24 and Thomas Hedley aged 32.
  I questioned Robert's name as it was the same as his birth name but different to his name in the Divorce file - Robert Theophilus COLLINS. See Reply#44.

It is often the small details that break down brick walls or assist in further research.  I cannot find anything about a Robert Biddulph COLLINS however there was a Theophilus COLLINS in NSW.

Freya you don't appear to be reading the attachments.  I attached Robert's second marriage certificate. Click on the link.  I don't post certificates for display on the thread as it breaches copyright.  If you convert your information to pdf only the link shows.

Speculative research. I think Ann McAVOY/McEVOY was a convict from Ireland and noted at married at the time of her transportation.  She had an illegitimate child in 1851.  Was it Patrick I wonder as he was noted 'little boy' in a news article in 1858.

I had found much more including Ann's Will however chose not to post the information to allow you to 'draw breathe' and consider the possibility that this Robert was Walter's father. 

Many convicts married again as I understand that their TOL did not permit them to return 'home'.  If this was Walter's father then how do we know that his mother Jane did not marry again or was deceased by 1858?

I found  many items in the Tasmanian newspapers including Robert's insolvency and items about his establishments.  I'll leave you to research them.    If you could obtain a copy of the ORIGINAL marriage certificate from GRO [not a transcribed one], then signatures could be compared.  I think Robert COLLINS, clerk, convict was Walter's father.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 15 July 18 01:30 BST (UK) »
A little more to support the research that Robert COLLINS, clerk, convict who initially was noted with two children [Robert and Walter] and later noted as having three children, was your Walter's father.

Births Dec 1843   
COLLINS John Allason         Durham 24/81

Cando

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 15 July 18 04:10 BST (UK) »

"...there was no relative informant on DC"

This does not answer the question. Often the informant named is an agent, or the undertaker, or a hospital ward clerk etc, in which case they are also identified by such descriptor.

Can you write here what you are seeing for informant.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 15 July 18 06:01 BST (UK) »
Did Walter die at home? He was enrolled to vote at 8 Bezzell Street, Brunswick in 1903. 

Perhaps you could attach the register page as downloaded from Vic bdm it is in pdf so when you attach select the saved pdf file from your computer.   Makes it easier for everyone.

I wondered about the death of Guinavere Eulalie COLLINS aged 7 months with Walter named as father and mother Rebecca BIDDULPH in 1889.    According to Walter's death certificate he had been resident in Victoria for 19 years, so arrived c1888.

Birth - rather strange transcription - from my own resource
COLLINS Guiniver Ewalie F [Fisher]
Father not recorded  Mother Rachel BURNS
4 Jun 1888
At Hobart  Reg#67

And certificate linked.   He adopted her :).

Cando