Author Topic: Decipher description from Scottish birth certificate  (Read 3614 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Decipher description from Scottish birth certificate
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 August 18 17:01 BST (UK) »
"This is my wife's side of the family, she is descended through Isabella (jnr) who married Thomas Goodley in 1874.  On her marriage certificate it states, father Colin Morrison Seaman! deceased mother Isabella Morrison MS Morrison"

Did the marriage not give mother Isabella's surname of Churchill, previously Morrison as well as m/s Morrison?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 August 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
"I had checked Glasgow births but none had the right parents, however I've just spotted an Elizabeth Isabella Morrison born in 1856, in Anderston, Glasgow, parents Colin and Isabelle Morrison"

Sorry for all the questions etc. but I am trying to help as there seems to be a few discrepancies.

Does the BC for E I Morrison state father's name/occ. & mmn?

What were those details?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 August 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
"This is my wife's side of the family, she is descended through Isabella (jnr) who married Thomas Goodley in 1874.  On her marriage certificate it states, father Colin Morrison Seaman! deceased mother Isabella Morrison MS Morrison"

Did the marriage not give mother Isabella's surname of Churchill, previously Morrison as well as m/s Morrison?

Annie

No, just Morrison MS Morrison

"I had checked Glasgow births but none had the right parents, however I've just spotted an Elizabeth Isabella Morrison born in 1856, in Anderston, Glasgow, parents Colin and Isabelle Morrison"

Sorry for all the questions etc. but I am trying to help as there seems to be a few discrepancies.

Does the BC for E I Morrison state father's name/occ. & mmn?

What were those details?

Annie

I haven't got the birth certificate yet, need to buy some more credits for scotlandspeople first, I wish you could get a subscription like other websites, it's getting expensive having to pay for every document.  Ancestry.co.uk only gives the basic details; names, date and town.

Rob
Hancock, Hatton (Birmingham), Price and Fisher (Gloucestershire), Cyphas (Oxfordshire), Ensor and Morrow (Coventry), Fieldhouse (Uttoxeter)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 August 18 19:35 BST (UK) »
Scotlandspeople is a government site just as the GRO (England) is which don't have a subscription option either.
You have to pay an awful lot more for certs. from GRO as they're not downloadable like SP's are & at a fraction of the price.

SP is the only place to purchase BMDs & Census' for Scotland, the rest are transcriptions which miss out a lot of valid info.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 03 August 18 19:42 BST (UK) »

"No, just Morrison MS Morrison"

This would signify Isabella wasn't married to William Churchill.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 August 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
How sure are you, you have the correct family?

CHURCHILL WILLIAM & MORRISON ISABELLA 1870
692/2 126 Leith South

Can you tell us what it says regarding Isabella on that marriage & who were the witnesses?

Does it state she's a Widow?

Annie

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 03 August 18 20:50 BST (UK) »

"No, just Morrison MS Morrison"

This would signify Isabella wasn't married to William Churchill.

Annie

How sure are you, you have the correct family?

CHURCHILL WILLIAM & MORRISON ISABELLA 1870
692/2 126 Leith South

Can you tell us what it says regarding Isabella on that marriage & who were the witnesses?

Does it state she's a Widow?

Annie

Got some more credits, and some more confusion.
The 1856 Anderston birth seems correct, though some things still don't fit:-
father - Colin Morrison (looks like Steward on/in vessel) present at birth
mother - Isabella Morrison maiden name Morrison

Onto the 1870 wedding!!!!
William Churchill wireworker age 31, that fits with the 1871 census and Isabella's death record. Address looks like 19 Coburg Street N Leith

However, Isabella
age 32!!, Spinster!!!!, dressmaker 19 Coburg Street N Leith
father John Morrison (joiner) matches Isabella's 1852 marriage
mother Isabella Fraser Morrison MS Cromarty.  Isabella's mother as far as I know MS Fraser, don't know about Cromarty, I'll have to check further.
Witnesses William Sanderson, and what looks like Babllay McKay!  I've not come across either of thos names/families so far.

There is only one William Churchill/Isabella in the 1871 Scotland census and that is the one with Isabella's existing children still with the surname Morrison.

Did Isabella pass herself off as single to get married, and get married in Leith so know one would recognise her? She is Churchill for 1871 and 1881 census, and on her death record.

Two steps forward one step back, but I think we're getting there, slowly.

Rob
Hancock, Hatton (Birmingham), Price and Fisher (Gloucestershire), Cyphas (Oxfordshire), Ensor and Morrow (Coventry), Fieldhouse (Uttoxeter)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 August 18 21:01 BST (UK) »
What were Isabellas' parents names on her DC & fathers' occ?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 August 18 21:34 BST (UK) »
"Got some more credits, and some more confusion.
The 1856 Anderston birth seems correct, though some things still don't fit:-
father - Colin Morrison (looks like Steward on/in vessel) present at birth
mother - Isabella Morrison maiden name Morrison"

Can you please include names with info. when posting as it keeps everything together without having to scroll back to recall who (name) was born when/where on long threads with conflicting info.  ;)

Elizabeth Isabella Morrison born in 1856, in Anderston, Glasgow
This one is the most solid for proof so far in terms of her children.

Was there an actual address given on the BC, if so, does the address tie in with any other docs?

Some strange conflicting evidence going on at times.

1856 - Colin 'Steward' on Isabella's birth
1874 - Colin 'Seaman' deceased on Isabella's marriage

(1864) - 1868 - Colin 'Baker' (AWOL)  ;D on Isaac's birth  ??? 'furth of Scotland for four years'

Is this the same Colin, changing is occ?

Do you have any other info. on Isaac?

Was there an actual address on Isaac's BC, if so, does it tie in with any other docs?

1865 - Eleanor "illegitimate" on her birth certificate
1868 Isaac his birth certicate has the message about the missing husband

I find it strange there's no mention of Colin on the BC of Eleanor yet 3 yrs later he's mentioned?

What address is on Eleanor's BC? Does it tie in with any other docs?

Just trying to get to the bottom of this (not easy)!  ::)

Annie