Author Topic: John Marshall Smart 1821-1894  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Browny1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Marshall Smart 1821-1894
« on: Monday 20 August 18 08:29 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for an obituary for John William Smart who died 1894 from North Shields.
He was a tug boat owner and other than him appearing on the 1891 census, and his baptism/marriage record I know nothing about him and was hoping his obit would give more details on his life and was wondering if someone would be kind enough to do so and send me it. I would be able to furnish an email address by private message.

Kindest regards

Browny1

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Marshall Smart 1821-1894
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 August 18 08:49 BST (UK) »
It may be available on FindMyPast at a local library, or Record Office?

Your profile doesn't say where in the world you live, so it's not possible to state that with certainty.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 August 18 08:56 BST (UK) »
Marriage: 8th July 1843 @ St Hilda's Church, South Shields Co. Durham
John Marshall Smart (single) to Sara Richardson (single)
Father's: Joseph Smart & John Richardson

Child's baptism:
24 December 1843 @ Christs, Tynemouth, Northumberland
Ann, daughter of John & Sarah Smart
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 August 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
I may be able to help you with this if no-one beats me to it. 

Can you let me know if he died in the North Shields area or one of the surrounding areas?  e.g. Wallsend etc.

If a burial can be found then a rough date of death can be determined which will help with searching the newspapers at the library.  It may just be that he might have a death notice rather than an obituary.  A death notice/obituary may have appeared in either the Shields Daily News or the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 August 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
RTL - he died 1894, March qtr, Tynemouth RD.

Meanwhile, looks like the family moved to Norfolk?
The following births are all registered in Great Yarmouth Registration District:

SMART, ANN        RICHARDSON      
GRO Reference: 1843  D Quarter in TYNEMOUTH UNION  Volume 25  Page 418

SMART, JOHN        (Mother's maiden name:) RICHARDSON      
GRO Reference: 1850  D Quarter in GREAT YARMOUTH  Volume 13  Page 375    

SMART, JOSEPH        RICHARDSON        
GRO Reference: 1852  D Quarter in GREAT YARMOUTH NORFOLK  Volume 04B

SMART, SARAH  ANN      RICHARDSON      
GRO Reference: 1852  M Quarter in GREAT YARMOUTH  Volume 04B  Page 5

SMART, MARGARET  ANN      RICHARDSON      
GRO Reference: 1855  M Quarter in GREAT YARMOUTH  Volume 04B  Page 2

And maybe back to Tynemouth?
SMART, JAMES        RICHARDSON        
GRO Reference: 1862  S Quarter in TYNEMOUTH  Volume 10B  Page 192

SMART, THOMAS        RICHARDSON      
GRO Reference: 1864  S Quarter in TYNEMOUTH  Volume 10B  Page 213

All my data was found on free sites ;D
FamilySearch.org and GRO Index Search

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 August 18 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Browny1

This is what I have found for you at North Shields library this morning:

Shields Daily News - Thursday, February 15th 1894
'SMART.- At 3 Belle Vue Terrace, North Shields on the 14th inst., aged 73, Jno. Marshall Smart, steam tug owner, late of Constantinopole.  Cortege to leave the house on Saturday at 2.30 p.m.  Interment at Preston Cemetery.  Friends please accept this intimation - No flowers.'

Taken from Preston Cemetery burial register:
'Entry 1946
John Marshall Smart
Male
73 years
Steamtug Owner
Place where death occurred: Coach Lane
Burial date: 17 February 1894
Ceremony Performed by: R? or K? M. Hardman? - Vicar of Holy Trinity
Buried in Consecrated Ground in Grave Number 5941
Parish Removed From: Chirton

I have also checked the 'biographies' files at North Shields.  These files are an excellent resource giving information concerning local people.  Information is deposited in these files both by the local studies staff and other researchers.  There is a lot of information in these files relating to people with the surname of Smart.  There is a very long newspaper article in there relating to another John Smart who died in 1920, if I recall rightly, and there are also other notes and information which have been deposited.  On one sheet of information  a private researcher has left some research which they have carried out.  I notice that they refer to the John who died in 1920 as being the son of John Smart of Constantinople and this person makes a reference to the Crimean War, etc.

Browny1 is there any chance you could get to the North Shields library?  I think the biographies file may be of interest to you.  Or perhaps you could write to the local studies staff and ask them to photocopy for you any relevant information from the biographies file relating to this family.

I hope this is all helpful for your research. :)

Note: As he is likely to have been quite well off being a steamboat owner - it might be worth contacting the Cemetery office with the burial information I have provided and ask if he has a grave stone.
The grave stones at Preston I have sometimes found to give an amazing amount of extra information about those interred.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 August 18 11:09 BST (UK) »
In case you need to access newspapers again British newspaper archive offers a free trial which you can do from home.  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Browny1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 August 18 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Browny1

This is what I have found for you at North Shields library this morning:

Shields Daily News - Thursday, February 15th 1894
'SMART.- At 3 Belle Vue Terrace, North Shields on the 14th inst., aged 73, Jno. Marshall Smart, steam tug owner, late of Constantinopole.  Cortege to leave the house on Saturday at 2.30 p.m.  Interment at Preston Cemetery.  Friends please accept this intimation - No flowers.'

Taken from Preston Cemetery burial register:
'Entry 1946
John Marshall Smart
Male
73 years
Steamtug Owner
Place where death occurred: Coach Lane
Burial date: 17 February 1894
Ceremony Performed by: R? or K? M. Hardman? - Vicar of Holy Trinity
Buried in Consecrated Ground in Grave Number 5941
Parish Removed From: Chirton

I have also checked the 'biographies' files at North Shields.  These files are an excellent resource giving information concerning local people.  Information is deposited in these files both by the local studies staff and other researchers.  There is a lot of information in these files relating to people with the surname of Smart.  There is a very long newspaper article in there relating to another John Smart who died in 1920, if I recall rightly, and there are also other notes and information which have been deposited.  On one sheet of information  a private researcher has left some research which they have carried out.  I notice that they refer to the John who died in 1920 as being the son of John Smart of Constantinople and this person makes a reference to the Crimean War, etc.

Browny1 is there any chance you could get to the North Shields library?  I think the biographies file may be of interest to you.  Or perhaps you could write to the local studies staff and ask them to photocopy for you any relevant information from the biographies file relating to this family.

I hope this is all helpful for your research. :)

Note: As he is likely to have been quite well off being a steamboat owner - it might be worth contacting the Cemetery office with the burial information I have provided and ask if he has a grave stone.
The grave stones at Preston I have sometimes found to give an amazing amount of extra information about those interred.

I live in Hampshire but will definitely write to ask about copies and the cost for that info. Does that mean he was born in Constantinople or resided there as the 1891 states Howden. I know that 2 of his grandchildren were born there.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 August 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
Gosh, I dashed on the bus to do this look up at the library for you and found additional.  Thought you might have said thanks ... :-\