Author Topic: note in Valuation Revision Book  (Read 419 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
note in Valuation Revision Book
« on: Monday 27 August 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am pretty sure of all but two words of this note in the margin of the 1873ff Valuation Revision Book for Ballinran Townland, Kilbroney Parish, Co. Down, Ireland.

I think it says:
"Pat Feran's name is still on rent receipt. Bridget Feran is the tenant. the farm was left to her by her husband's will. The Landlord desires to have her son ___ ___, but she will not allow it."

Can anyone read the two words that are missing? This is the biggest sample of this handwriting I can provide. There is no guarantee that any of the other notes on the page are by the same person.

For background, there is a death of a Patrick Feran in Kilkeel Registration District, which included Ballinran, in the 3rd quarter of 1872, at age 73. His children's baptisms say their mother was Bridget McGivern. A Bridget Feran occupies the land from 1875 to 1891. Bridget Feran, widow of Patrick, died January 17, 1891, son John was informant. And John married in 1893, saying he was a farmer of Ballinran.

Thank you,
Ed H

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: note in Valuation Revision Book
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
Could it be "as stated"

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
I think the second word is rated.

Online josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 18 16:19 BST (UK) »
I agree - rated.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
I think the second word is rated.

"rated" meaning the son should take a section of the land for himself and pay a tax rate?

And then could the first word that I am missing be his name Jhon for John?

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for the quick reply, I am going with "rated". I was thinking "instated" myself, but I didn't think the writer would split the word between two lines like that.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 August 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
"rated" meaning the son should take a section of the land for himself and pay a tax rate?

I'm not sure about the son taking land for himself, but I read it as meaning the landlord desired that the son become the name of record in the rate registers.

The son may have been working the land already.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 August 18 18:41 BST (UK) »

I'm not sure about the son taking land for himself, but I read it as meaning the landlord desired that the son become the name of record in the rate registers.

The son may have been working the land already.

Thank you, that makes sense. She had one son (Thomas) who was already married when her husband died. Which, now that I think of it, is unusual, because the son usually waited until the land was his before he married. So the landlord might have thought it reasonable for Thomas to be the tenant of record.
Thomas soon left for the US, along with two of his brothers. The son that ended up with the land when Bridget died was the youngest, who only then married.