Author Topic: Will of Robert Aylmer 1493  (Read 7443 times)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will of Robert Aylmer 1493
« on: Tuesday 28 August 18 20:55 BST (UK) »
After starting a thread for the will of Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquis of Dorset 1530, and receiving so much kind help here, I have been trying to map out the different brances of the Aylmer family, as Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquis of Dorset, left a legacy to an Anne Aylmer. Aylmer was also the name of the famous tutor the Marquis' possibly even more famous granddaughter, Lady Jane Grey, the Nine Days' Queen.

In addition, a lady by the name of Frances Aylmer was in the household of Princess Mary Tudor together with the Marquis' daughter, Katherine Grey, Lady Maltravers. This Lady Katherine Grey was the aunt of Lady Jane Grey.

With the incredibly kind help and skills of the people here we have been able to get a closer look at the life of this gentlewoman here:

Will of Frances Aylmer 1540
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=799215.0

And mapped out the family line of Sir Laurence Aylmer through the translation of his son Anthony's will of 1518 here:

Will of Anthony Aylmer 1518
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=799361.0

This will is a little longer than the two above, but it can still not rival the eight (!) pages of the Marquis' :)

It is of a length of about a page.

The will can be found on Ancestry.

The testator is, according to Ancestry, from Norwich in Norfolk.

Norwich
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich

The physical proximity to our Aylmers, the relative rarity of the name, and the fact that we thanks to the kind translation of Anthony Aylmer's will now have enough clues about the elder generation to possibly be able to link the Aylmers of 1493 to the Aylmers of the 1520's, gives me hope that this will might contain clues that will help us to determine how some of these Aylmers were related to each other.

My hope is that this will give us enough information to piece together a possible family relationship between the Aylmers we already know of.

Thank you so much in advance.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Robert Aylmer 1493
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
In dei Nome amen the iijd day of the moneth ^of July^ in the year of ou(r) Lord god y ^t^ cccclxxxxiijth
I Robert Aylemir citezin and alderman of Norwich in my good and hole mynde at Norwich  make
my testament and Last Wyll in this Wyse first I comende my soule to allmighty god ou(r) Lady Seint
Mary moder of Christ J(e)hu seint andrew and all his seintes and my body to be buryed in the church of
seint Andrewe in Norwich by the funte in the same church, And to the high Aulter of the same church
in recompence for my tythes I bequeith xl s And to the mending of the same church I bequeith
x marke Item I bequeith to e..ch  of the iiij orders of friers in Norwich xxvj s viij d to pray for my
soule Item to the amending of the collegiate church of ou(r) Lady in the feldes of Norwich to pray for
my soule xl s And to the amneding of the hospitall of saint Gyle in Norwich to pray for my soule

I think the Hospital was St Gyles.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 23:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you so, so, so much Goldie!!! :) :D :)

I love the civic mindedness of these early wills!

He is probably buried in this church, which is still standing:

St. Andrew's Church, Norwich
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Andrew%27s_Church,_Norwich

Wow! St. Giles's Hospital is still in operation! :) (perhaps thanks the donation from our guy? *g*)

The Great Hospital is a medieval hospital that has been serving the people of Norwich, Norfolk, England, since the 13th century. It is situated on a 7-acre (2.8 ha) site in a bend of the River Wensum to the north-east of Norwich Cathedral. Bishop Walter de Suffield founded St. Giles's Hospital, as the hospital was originally known, in 1249. What makes the hospital notable today is its continuous record of care, the range of existing medieval buildings on the hospital grounds, most of which are still in use, and the extensive archives that record the hospital's long history.

Great Hospital
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Hospital

Thank you so much again! :) :D :)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 04:56 BST (UK) »
Snippet 3
others xl s Item I bequeith to the modre church of the holy trinitie in Norwich xxs to pray for my sowle
Item to ev(er)y Nine at Carrowe (?) viij d And to ev(er)y suster at Normans iij d It(e)m to *Jhe Ankerys in
Norwich xij d Item I will that ev(er)y poure pursones in the castell And in the guyld halle whan
myn executoure come there to visite them have ij d Item I will have a seculer p(rie)st to sing and
pray for my soule my frendes soules and all *x soules by the space of viij yere next after my
decese in the church of saint Andrewe beforesaid Item I will that Elisabeth my wif have all that

‘modre’ church - mother church?
* thought this was John, but not the right letter;  could also be Aukerys

*  possibly an abbreviation for Chistian?

Snippet 4

my place that I dwell in in the p(a)risshe of Saint Andrewe in Norwich with thappurtenances to have
and hold to hire, hire  heires and assignes for evermore Item I bequeith to Elisabeth my wif all my
stuff of household with all my plate Item I bequeith unto the same Elisabeth my wif CCC m(ar)ke
in money to be paide to hire hire executours or certaigne attorneys in forme folowing that is to say,
in the yere next after my decese C marke And in the yere than next after C marke And in
the yere next after that C marke Item I will that ev(er)y lepere both man and woman beying And

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 05:01 BST (UK) »
From here:
https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=moa&cc=moa&view=text&rgn=main&idno=AJQ4429.0001.001

7.-1493. Robert Aylmer, Mayor in 1481 and 1492. This mark, with his initials, is in several of the South windows in the clerestory. His gravestone, dated 1493, lies under the font.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 07:41 BST (UK) »
Just a couple of additions to goldie's work:

Snippet 2 - third last line:  ...Item I bequeith to ev(er)ich of the iiij...  [= every]

Snippet 3:

...ev(er)y Nune at Carrowe...

...It(e)m to Iche Ankerys in...   [Iche = each / Ankerys = anchorite?]

...ev(er)y poure prisoner in the castell...

...and all xpen soules...

xpen = christen in the same way as xpofer = christofer

The xp is from the Greek letters chi & rho, which stand for the christ part of the word.

ADDED:

Goldie is right about modre church.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 07:54 BST (UK) »
Some minor matters in Snippet 1:

...Lord god ml cccclxxxxiijth...

ml = millesimo = one thousand

His surname is spelt Aylemer.  The upper part of the e is touching the r.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks HD.
Do you think the place the nuns are IS Carrowe? I wasn't sure.

I can see 'prisoner' now. The scribe must use at least 3 different forms of 'r' in this writing! Very confusing!

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 11:50 BST (UK) »