Author Topic: WW1 Uniform Identification  (Read 1591 times)

Offline NicolaLee99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 Uniform Identification
« on: Friday 31 August 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've been going through a tonne of photos found in my late grandads house and came across this one. No one in the family knows 100% who this man is but due to a resemblance to my grandad, I believe it is my great-grandads little brother who was killed early on in the First World War. We have yet to find any military records for him and in the meantime I was wondering if someone can tell me anything about the uniform? For instance, I've never come across a side cap with two colours. He possibly served in the Kings Liverpool Regiment alongside his brother who was a Corporal, but we cannot confirm for sure which regiment he was with.

Thanks

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Uniform Identification
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 August 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
Looks like RAF WW2 to me. White band i think means he was an officer cadet.

Example photo.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 August 18 14:36 BST (UK) »
Eg
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Online medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 August 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
NOT army - it's a Sergeant in the Royal Air Force who has become an officer cadet.

Look at the RAF eagle on buttons.

The RAF wasn't established until April 1st 1918 so not the young man who died early WW1.

Am unable to date the uniform but I don't think it's WW1.

NB - The example of an RAF cadet added as I posted and you can see the RAF very clearly on the buttons.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 August 18 14:40 BST (UK) »

I understand the 'white forage cap band' was first introduced with the training of Officer Cadets at Royal Air Force College Cranwell and certain flying schools. As the training of Officer Cadets ceased with the opening of hostilities in 1939, the 'white cap band' then continued with the training of aircrew cadets - from initial training stage on.

Online medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 August 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
I'll go with that Gortonboy re 1939, my husband and I were in the Royal Air Force well after WW2  ;D

It's WW2 then so someone born around WW1 or just after time then.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 August 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
The closed neck collar in the original picture shows that it predates WW2.  The tunic is of a pattern worn in the 1920s onwards.  By 1940 the RAF were wearing airforce blue battledress.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 August 18 15:13 BST (UK) »
The uniform jacket is a problem. It appears to be British Army WW1 pattern. There is a wikipedia article which says "New recruits into the newly formed Royal Air Force were often issued with the olive green Army Pattern General Service Tunic". Possibly the photo is early 1920's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniforms_of_the_Royal_Air_Force
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 August 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
First thing to say is that it's not a WW1 (1908 pattern) tunic worn either by Other Ranks or Officers.
Agree with the other comments closer to WW2.
With regard to the other part of your question about "younger brother" dying WW1 if you give us his name & date of death we'll take it from there.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/