Author Topic: Innes of Banffshire and Moray  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Innes of Banffshire and Moray
« on: Friday 31 August 18 14:24 BST (UK) »
They used many names such as Iny, Inch, Innes and so on. Right now I am looking at the family of William Innes of Burncrooks. He had a son called Robert and Robert had a son called Jonathan. This Jonathan lived in Mortlach and Burncrooks.
Burncrooks is in the Parish of Roths
I would like to have more info on these two parishes.
Can you help???

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Innes of Banffshire and Moray
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 August 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
Info. on two of the parishes here:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/BAN/parishes

Burncrooks not located.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 August 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
Burncrooks is in the Parish of Roths and if need be I will prove it to you. Let me know

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 August 18 23:14 BST (UK) »
I was only trying to be helpful on the information available online.

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 August 18 23:53 BST (UK) »
Burncrooks is in the Parish of Roths and if need be I will prove it to you. Let me know

I found your 2nd post (as a member of RC) abrasive as ColC used his time & effort to help you which you don't seem to appreciate!

The link Col supplied is of parishes & towns & it would appear Burncrook(s) is neither i.e. possibly a village or similar in Rothes, Moray?

There's nowhere in Scotland named Roths

You may want to add some dates to your query as there's many maps from different periods?

One piece of info. I found on the place name 'Burncrook' Moray, described as within 'The Second lott of the lands of Rothes' was Land Tax Rolls 1645 - 1831

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 September 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
Dufftown, are you William in Montreal?

I can confirm that there was a Burncrooks in the parish of Rothes in Moray. Alexander Leslie of Balnageith (which is in Forres) resided in Burncrooks during the mid-18th century, because the Rothes Register of baptisms several times records his name as 'Alexander Leslie of Balnageith in Burncrooks'.

Burncrooks has long since disappeared from the maps. However it is shown on estate plans of the Rothes Estate drawn up for Seafield Estates around the end of the 18th century. See http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp and search for Burncrook in the 'Places' search. The originals of these plans are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 September 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
Yes, this is William in Montreal.
If you go to Libindx, in the cemetery letters, type in Ro286. This will show you the burial for Robert Innes of Mondole who was the son of William Innes of Burncrooks.
When William Innes of Burncrooks died he was to much in dept and Robert Innes of Mondole, his son, took over the payments of his debts
Only recently I was able to confirm with ScotlandsPeople that the William Innes shown in the Ro286 was actually William Innes of Burncrooks.
Consequently William Innes of Burncrooks did not leave a will but rather he is mentioned in the will of Robert Innes of Mondole