Author Topic: Electors Rolls for 14 Oxford St Widnes  (Read 738 times)

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Electors Rolls for 14 Oxford St Widnes
« on: Saturday 01 September 18 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've been chasing a relative for a number of years now - Abraham Entwistle born in Oldham on 27th May 1877. I have birth cert, marriage (to Annie Lynch in Oldham on 8th July 1907). I know they had 4 children; Abraham b.1902, Mark b.1909, Annie b.1911, Theresa 1912 and all were born in Oldham. Through Rootschat I've been helped to also find his criminal record from his youth and his army record. The last trace I have of any of the family after the 1911 census is the WWI record which confirms his marriage details and lists his address as 14 Oxford Street, Widnes in 1915.

I don't know where electors rolls for Widness may be held but felt this may be a good route forward, esp if the 1915 record lists all adult members of the household.

Would anybody be able to help me with a look up for the address please?

Many thanks, Luke

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Electors Rolls for 14 Oxford St Widnes
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 18 22:13 BST (UK) »
Just a thought, it will not list all adults as most women did not have the right to vote at that time  ???
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 September 18 22:31 BST (UK) »
The Representation Of The People Act, 1918 was the Act that gave the right to vote to all men aged over the age of 21.

Before that Act was passed, only 60% of the male population had the rights to vote, and very few women.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 September 18 23:03 BST (UK) »
You won't find electoral rolls before 1918 to help you.

FindMyPest has electoral rolls for Lancashire, there are some rolls for Widnes in 1921-22, but I couldn't find Entwistle.

A search for Abraham Entwistle between 1918 and 1922 produced 22 results in Lancashire, but it's anybody's guess as to whether or not one of them is yours.

Does Abraham's record say when he left the army?  I had hoped to find him on an Absent Voters list but couldn't.

The 1939 Register has an Abraham Entwistle born 1877, and Margaret E Entwistle born 1879 at Halifax, but this might be a red herring.

Philip

Moderator comment: edited for content. 1939 register details removed. You may only post information from a free search.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 September 18 07:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you all, I suppose I was clutching at straws a little with this.

I have gone through the military records again and identified a few questions - one of the documents I didnt have when I got them from a previous site says he was born at 12 Oxford Road Widnes which I think is a clerical error. It does mention his discharge date as 14.08.1916 due to Sub Acute Rheumatism. The same page also mentions a different home address which I think says 35 Overy St, Lees Rd, Oldham - perhaps the Widnes move was a very short one or he went back to his family to recuperate.

Thank you all for your time and help.

Luke