Author Topic: A FEW Issues... 5th Great Grandfather John CARTER & Mary Frow  (Read 952 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
A FEW Issues... 5th Great Grandfather John CARTER & Mary Frow
« on: Saturday 08 September 18 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hello all. I think I've prodded a few brains about this before but can't seem to find a thread on it so I'll have another go. I've got to the point in my tree where the only things left to find are the hardest bits that always give me a headache to revisit!

My (potential) 5th Great Grandfather John CARTER married his wife Mary on 4 Nov 1787, All Saints, Newcastle. Her surname here is FROW.

Their last two children are:
Sophia b. 1 Sept 1800* ch. 11 Sept 1800 (1st dau of John CARTER, pitman, by Mary PEW dau of Robert PEW, mariner, both of chapelry)
John b. 17 Dec 1800 ch. 12 Mar 1801 (5th son of John CARTER pitman of Gateshead by Mary FEW dau of Robert, mariner, of this chapelry)

(* as in the original. Perhaps meant to be 1799? Sophia was also not the 1st dau so maybe the vicar had been at the communion wine?)

Aside from the three different spellings, and someone's suggestion that it could even have been THEW, which was an existing surname in the area, I've still been unable to find her with that information.

It is possible of course that her christening no longer exists or that she invented her father's information.

The only real christening possibility I can see is Mary THEW 1773, Simonburn, the dau of Robert and Mary nee ROWELL, but I've got a note by it, regretfully unsourced, that suggests that this Robert was a collier. Also, unless Mary was a child at the time or a rather young bride, this seems too late to actually be her. I do have a 15/16 year old bride elsewhere in my tree but the number of children of the marriage was the biggest tip-off there!

Interestingly, there is a will that I found:
Robert THEW, master mariner, of South Shields in the county of Durham [South Shields, County Durham]
Date of probate: 29 May 1835

This Robert married Ann SHORT in 1801, St Hilda, South Shields, with bond allegations giving a dob of c1774. Robert and Mary nee ROWELL had a son Robert 1775. Interesting coincidence or not?
Robert and Ann had a son Thomas in 1809 which gives Robert a place of "Newton Northland" (transcription).

And no, I can't find any confirmable deaths for Mary or for her supposed father.

Perhaps greater minds have some thoughts?

Regards
Ayashi

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
A FEW Issues... 5th Great Grandfather John CARTER & Mary Frow
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 September 18 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Ayashi.

I am trying to find your other topic to provide a link. We always encourage folk to include the ancestors name they are researching in the heading, this makes find your topics very easy - I can find any of your headings that include any family names. I will rename this one for you whilst I go on searching, hopefully if you can continue to add this important detail it will assist you in the future.

Here is the topic
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=666477.msg5123580#msg5123580

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A FEW Issues... 5th Great Grandfather John CARTER & Mary Frow
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 September 18 15:28 BST (UK) »
Ah! I used the search option with a few terms and didn't find it. I wonder why not :/

Thank you for linking that, even if I look a little bit silly!

Ayashi

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 September 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
1789 All Saints, Benjamin Throw to Jane Reedhead
possibly another variation on the name
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 September 18 21:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Radcliff.

So many variations and yet so little to go on.  :-\

Ayashi

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 September 18 10:50 BST (UK) »
when you said Pew I imediately thought of Pugh
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 September 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
Doing a wild card search on Durham records pay to view site,
for Mary Thew, it throws up a burial for a Mary Brown born circa 1710 buried Newcastle 1803, so possibly Thew was her maiden name
also in 1789 a burial of a Mary Thew no age recorded

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 September 18 14:39 BST (UK) »
One of the witnesses at the John Carter and Mary Frow marriage is a James Buckham.

There is a marriage of a James Buckham and Jane Few, Newcastle All Saints, 30 April 1780.

Maybe a sister of Mary.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 September 18 22:12 BST (UK) »
and children
Alice Buckhan 13th May 1781
John Buckham,27th July 1783
Robert Buckham,1st April 1787
Daniel Buckam,23rd August 1789
father a yeoman