Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 68486 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #207 on: Saturday 26 January 19 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Agree with you totally, Edward Scott. We always should check things out properly, and not grasp at "it must be..."
I'm certainly not above having a look at trees that seem to have one of my bodies in it .... sometimes it's likely, and worth checking up a bit, often it's laughable, and/or careless clicking on alternatives ( that can so often shift people to the U.S.A., I've noticed) and usually it's merely another poor soul with the same name and approximate age, but different parents, siblings, spouse(s) and offspring that "A" has thrown up!
It's not worth getting worked up about. If it does seem like a likely fact, or possible connection, then I'm not too stiff-necked to try and check it out PROPERLY.
One time, a couple of years ago, I found that I'd made an error myself, two very similar folk, same name, approximate same age, and spouse name, and area born / lived in .... and when the 1939 register came, it showed me the chap's actual birth date, which wasn't what I'd got down. But it was him, I knew from family ... so I went back, and eventually - a few miles away, found the right chap, with his correct parentage, and then had to trace that back, and undo the tangled web from the wrong chap!! My fault, actually, and taught me to always keep on checking.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Saturday 26 January 19 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Im bad with numbers and it sometimes takes me a while to realise that ages dont correspond with correct years

Ancestry does advise to give apprx dates to get better results

I was  checking a life story last week and saw that i had someone marrying at 11 .my computer blocked while i was trying to alter it . But ....now i cant rememer who.s profile it was !
:id be very grateful if anyone pointed out glaring anomolies on my tree   !

Checked a census today ..parents of 3 children id already got lots of documentation came up on auto as different names ages and places of origins ....at first i thought theyd been fostered out but looking in margin it said see line 10 ...
There were the parents afterall ...enumerator just have fulled in all the neighbours before someone remembered that 3 children needed to be added
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Saturday 26 January 19 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I often have a peep -

at other peoples trees.. because it is a.n.other avenue..  and if your  careful you can disregard the rubbish and collect the snippets that are useful..

the odd photograph may well turn up   

or as in the case of MRS WILSON the odd true 3rd husband.. 

I search as many avenues.. as there are within reach of my chair.. as that is the only way I can do research these days..

And yes I moan, about Ancestry trees --- when they blatantly are stupid.... as I say Agnes GAY will always  be a ... arrrrgh fgs.. etc.. 9yrs old married and etc not worth knowing..

anyhow..

we do it cos we love it and we want it RIGHT   that is why I blast WRONG trees and tell em... sometimes..
ignore them loads of times.

last night if I had not have looked at a.n.other tree.. I would not have expanded the lifestory of one of mine and added an anecdote that only a close close rellie could have known..

Cheers Xin

There is none so blind as those who will not see.

Perhaps you need to reassess your thoughts on what is blatantly stupid.
Marriage did occasionally take place between children in England.
Take a look at
http://www.auswhn.org.au/blog/child-marriage/

The church of England frowned on marriages of children under 7 years old but children younger than that were married in church. That does not mean they lived together or consummated the marriage but marriages did occasionally take place.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Saturday 26 January 19 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I get very sad when having found a potential looking relation on Ancestry, based on good solid research by myself ( I don't message many people) you make contact and say I'm from X branch and I think we're related through y . They then send an excited message back saying yes we are. They then ask a supplementary question and you answer very willingly and offer to share info and photos ..........and then you get nothing ........it's so sad . You know you might have things they'd be interested in and you dare to hope they might know the answer to the one missing cousin that's hiding somewhere!
North East of England

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Sunday 27 January 19 00:44 GMT (UK) »
I am in the process of having to redo one of my lines. I had what I thought at the time as the correct mother for my GGfather. I could not find his birth information, but found some which "looked" right at the time.

I was not aware at the time of the GRO indexes, but having put the question to the marvelous Rootschatters, I have been given information which is the correct information.

Now comes the hard work of sorting things out, and I did not have trees to misguide me :'(

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Sunday 27 January 19 10:37 GMT (UK) »

There is none so blind as those who will not see.

Perhaps you need to reassess your thoughts on what is blatantly stupid.
Marriage did occasionally take place between children in England.
Take a look at
http://www.auswhn.org.au/blog/child-marriage/

The church of England frowned on marriages of children under 7 years old but children younger than that were married in church. That does not mean they lived together or consummated the marriage but marriages did occasionally take place.
Cheers
Guy
[/quote]

Oh dear me   I did not warrant such a sharp REPLY

not good

I have been following MY Clarke line for many many years....

I am not stupid or Naive enough to think there is no such thing as a 9 yr old marrying.. but if and when I rediscover the tree -- you will agree it is an impossible situation..   here  is a snip

xin

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Sunday 27 January 19 13:48 GMT (UK) »
I have had that before, I make contact with a distant cousin and they are delighted and say "We can compare notes now" and then I never hear from them again. Maybe they are the "grab the info and run" type. You tell them what you have found and they think "Bingo" and then discard you after that.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Sunday 27 January 19 14:01 GMT (UK) »
I've only contacted / been contacted a few times, and only one, a chap on OH's side, was really a "Grab it and Run" merchant. I went to a lot of trouble after contact was made, actually drawing out his entire tree for him, to clarify, and posted it to Australia, at some expense ... and never ever even got a "thank you"! (Mind you, I did it that way so at least he couldn't get into my tree. )
Others have been very pleasant, and helpful, and even met up with one or two, really nice people, and feel to be friends as well now.
Makes you very wary of making / allowing contact, though.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Sunday 27 January 19 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I've only contacted / been contacted a few times, and only one, a chap on OH's side, was really a "Grab it and Run" merchant. I went to a lot of trouble after contact was made, actually drawing out his entire tree for him, to clarify, and posted it to Australia, at some expense ... and never ever even got a "thank you"! (Mind you, I did it that way so at least he couldn't get into my tree. )
Others have been very pleasant, and helpful, and even met up with one or two, really nice people, and feel to be friends as well now.
Makes you very wary of making / allowing contact, though.

Yes, I have met up with my dad's cousin. Their paternal grandfathers were first cousins. I keep in contact with them. No matter how far removed it is, they are still a relative, even if they are not into genealogy as much as you are.

I once helped someone prove a distant link to nobility and I never ever got a thank you for it.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain