Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 67087 times)

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #252 on: Monday 11 February 19 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry trees should come with a warning.

They do, see my attachment.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: Monday 11 February 19 18:19 GMT (UK) »
In my tree one the branches is the Hamer family all connected by my g.mother.
Awhile ago I found some info on the Hamers and proceeded to Anc. to update.  All the Hamers are connected up with this one and that one and have over 7 generations.  Oh! what a lovely surprise I got.  When I went to update that part of Hamers I found that  it had been seperated including branches, was on its own and not connected to the existing.  No idea how it happened or how to link up again to my Hamers on the Bowler/Hamer tree.  Completley lost now.  Reply from Anc. "You must have deleted someone or some people".   Now why would I do that?  All  that research now gone up in flames thank you very much.

Steve62
Boaler/Bowler/Boler - UK/Canada/USA/Australia
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
Kapatofsky - Russia/Uk/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Monday 11 February 19 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Awhile ago I found some info on the Hamers and proceeded to Anc. to update.  All the Hamers are connected up with this one and that one and have over 7 generations.  Oh! what a lovely surprise I got.  When I went to update that part of Hamers I found that  it had been seperated including branches, was on its own and not connected to the existing.  No idea how it happened or how to link up again to my Hamers on the Bowler/Hamer tree.  Completley lost now.  Reply from Anc. "You must have deleted someone or some people".   Now why would I do that?  All  that research now gone up in flames thank you very much.

Steve62

I've seen the 3rd Tree line error (in the space of a Month) out of 3 viewed.

There seems to be a drive by a few, to create a tree with the largest number of links/individuals as possible.

Right place name, but in the wrong country.

----------

I wish all sites would just provide more and more online documents and images.

Mark

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 04:35 GMT (UK) »
I refuse to have an Ancestry tree for all of the reasons in this thread. Many years ago I did have one on Genes Reunited, and like most of us allowed people to view my tree if they shared an ancestor. My whole tree duplicated across the internet not just Genes Reunited. An earlier form of the tree was put on Rootsweb's Worldconnect by one of my cousins, who thought we might find relatives that way; that yree is even more widespread.
Regarding errors in duplicated trees, there are a large number of Dowdeswell family trees online that state they are descended from mine; all copied from one which neglected to check the ancestor in question actually died as a child. The burial record is plain to see, unless you need to find a connecting ancestor of course.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 23:31 GMT (UK) »
This is the problem

One exaggeration or mistake passed along a line and then the whole caboodle is up the creek.

So WHAT value will the information stored in the vault be

if it is wrong at the beginning and errors are added who knows where it will lead...

and then we believe what we are told and yet most of the stories are word of mouth at the camp fire and we all know about chinese whispers..

so

There are so many  Histerical books that are just that oops is that a typing error!!!

xin

Even my tree has slips  that I keep hoping I have checked and corrected EVEN ME and I am a VIRGO  nearly spelt that with an in and not an O...

its ok.. I try to lighten my frame of mind and joke     not take things too seriously  but hey this is a hobby that I have to do right.

NOW everyone with a tree on Ancestry CHECK your lifestory page   

BECAUSE  if like me you put something in the facts ---- for instance born in Newbold Christened at the PARISH CHURCH or married at the PARISH CHURCH   you could find your ancestor living somewhere in America in a place Called PARISH.. i did last night...  two of em popped over just to get married and were back before tea.

I will rest now 

xin

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: Thursday 14 February 19 06:52 GMT (UK) »

Steve62

Something similar happened to me recently, though not to such a great amount. One person completely deleted. Perhaps I did it in a senior moment. But why would I? They give you a reminder before deleting someone, and that should have triggered my few remaining brain cells to kick into gear.

More annoyingly, all my photos were removed by ancestry in one fell swoop. They have no explanation for it at all, acknowledging that I cannot have deleted them all by accident. But they are suggesting that I am in some way responsible.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: Thursday 14 February 19 11:16 GMT (UK) »
get FTM     and back up   I would be so lost without it..

I try to back up with it at least twice a week and the the media files are copied over and put on an external hard drive...

which stops me worrying... (I then copy them again on to a.n.other external !!!! ha ha)

xin 

Offline strictlysnoopy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: Friday 22 February 19 11:28 GMT (UK) »

I have a greatgrandfather who other trees have him married to an Amye Thomas no sources. Amye was his sister! She married a Henry Thomas.

On my DNA matches I link with a woman in The USA over 20,000 people in her tree and the only name match ancestry can come up with is Mary from Wales.

I also have a cousin again a DNA match who on his profile says experienced researcher willing to help,  who has 3rd cousin born in Pontypridd ran a pub in the town with her husband and father as his Grandmother born in Brecon 20 miles away and 50 yrs difference in age!

BUT this week I was trying to find an Uncle born in Corwall in the 1500's
Called Fernando Lower. Ancestry gave me a hint about him living in Barbados.   Turns out they were right. He fought in the civil war along side other relations against the King they lost the battle, his punishment was to be exiled to their sugar plantation in Barbados.

So who knows ;D

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: Thursday 07 March 19 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I know there are loads of 'iffy' trees but this one is worthy of a mention

:)

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire