Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 68307 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #261 on: Thursday 07 March 19 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Having a baby at 96. Guinness Book of Records, where are you?  ;D
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: Thursday 07 March 19 18:56 GMT (UK) »
I know there are loads of 'iffy' trees but this one is worthy of a mention

:)

Edward

And your problem is?

:)
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: Thursday 07 March 19 19:17 GMT (UK) »
It may just be that she is a ggmother of mine and I know the truth

Engage brain before clicking “I’ll have that” as said by Burglar Bill :)

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: Thursday 07 March 19 22:13 GMT (UK) »
I use the public trees as a guide, or sometimes as what not to do, but the other day I found a doozy. A potential ancestor who lived in Devon, will dated 1653, apparently married in Cheshire and had his first two children in Cumberland, before settling back in Devon. Has to be right, doesn't it?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: Thursday 07 March 19 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Sounds quite reasonable  :)
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: Thursday 07 March 19 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I use the public trees as a guide, or sometimes as what not to do, but the other day I found a doozy. A potential ancestor who lived in Devon, will dated 1653, apparently married in Cheshire and had his first two children in Cumberland, before settling back in Devon. Has to be right, doesn't it?
Did he have shares in Stagecoach? Or even, a share of a stagecoach.
Cowban

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: Friday 08 March 19 07:38 GMT (UK) »

No, but on the other hand it may very easily be right, what was his occupation, did he work for Landed Gentry who had a house in Devon and perhaps Cumberland? The Landed Gentry often took servants/workers with them on their "travels or when they visited others.
As has been mentioned on other threads always look for reasons for moves, even short ones may be due to change of employer, meeting at markets, hiring or mop fairs etc.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: Friday 08 March 19 07:54 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Guy, above - you can never be sure as people were often much more mobile than we give them credit for.  An example is those who lived by the sea.   Some of my ancestors were born in Rotherhithe and they all (including the women) seemed reluctant to stay in one place.  Thus one family has great-grandparents in Kent, grandparents in Rotherhithe, parents in County Durham and children in Yorkshire.  And of course over the years, some returned to Rotherhithe, whilst others went off to somewhere totally different!
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: Friday 08 March 19 11:01 GMT (UK) »

No, but on the other hand it may very easily be right, what was his occupation, did he work for Landed Gentry who had a house in Devon and perhaps Cumberland? The Landed Gentry often took servants/workers with them on their "travels or when they visited others.
As has been mentioned on other threads always look for reasons for moves, even short ones may be due to change of employer, meeting at markets, hiring or mop fairs etc.
Cheers
Guy

I have an ancestor who was born in Rothiemurchus in Inverness-shire Scotland.  He then moves to Tyneside for work.  I am sure it is the same guy as the records of him in Tyneside refer to him as being from Rothiemurchus.  In Tyneside he marries a local girl and their first child is born there.  They then have their second child in a village close to Rothiemurchus before moving to Glasgow and having more children.

I have another ancestor who was born just outside Rochdale. He moved to the Scottish borders where he married a local girl and has children there.

I know what people are going to say, that I have just leapt to conclusions, grabbed someone with the same name as my ancestors and placed them in my tree but in truth it has taken me years to piece it all together.  Aided by the additional information available on Scottish birth certificates. I can explain if I need to but would make a very long post

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others