Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 68498 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #279 on: Monday 11 March 19 11:21 GMT (UK) »
An interesting thread .  I was one of those misguided people that took all information on others trees as correct, I have learned the hard way.

I have a question.  Someone told me of a tree that had a death cited for a relative I have found no trace of after birth of her last child.  It has been an ongoping search for a good few years and 2 genealogists have failed to find anything either. Excuse my ignorance but in this context does cited mean she has proof? I don't have full subs to access trees. 
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Monday 11 March 19 11:50 GMT (UK) »
If you send me a pm with the details I will have a look later

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Monday 11 March 19 23:27 GMT (UK) »
I do have ancestors that moved about quite a bit. One 3x great grandfather, born in Devonshire, married his wife in Chichester, and had their children back in Devon. She had been living in Devon, but was living with her brother in Chichester at the time of their marriage.
The potential ancestor I referenced earlier was Devon born and bred, and my own research has shown all of his children were born there too. So the tree I mentioned is obviously wrong.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 11:26 GMT (UK) »
....I have a question.  Someone told me of a tree that had a death cited for a relative I have found no trace of after birth of her last child.  It has been an ongoping search for a good few years and 2 genealogists have failed to find anything either. Excuse my ignorance but in this context does cited mean she has proof?   

As I suspected and thanks to Edward, this mis-information is a copy from another tree with absolutely no proof.  What puzzles me is that whoever first added this to a tree was so specific even gave a day and month. Where did the information originate. I continue with my search ever hopefull that one day something will be found.   

The owner of the  tree in question is in fact related to me, our great x 1 Grandfathers were brothers.  I did have contact and was given access to the tree.  But it all ended in tears when I tactfully  pointed out  many inaccuracies for which I had the proof. In spite of this the tree was not changed. The person  took from me and added my pictures  to the tree which rather annoyed me. It could have been so beneficial to us both  had this person  not been so blinkered, and chosen one of the Forum Boards to insult me, coupled with acrimonious mails.  Obviously my access to tree has been denied.

Off on a tangent, this has taught me, when contact is made proceed with extreme caution. Do not  give too much away, be selective at first, if it shows signs of being one sided back off. 
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Many of the distant cousins we make touch with on Ancestry regarding errors in their trees are 10 times removed or more, so not properly family, but still related. A difference between a distant relative and a family member. I gave up pointing out errors in others trees years ago. Although we are all human and experienced genealogists make mistakes, are lead up the garden path. Namesake cousins, or 2 unrelated people in the village/town of the same name, or they are related, just more distantly, such as 3rd or 4th cousins.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 10:56 GMT (UK) »
I think Ancestry 'hints' and other trees on line should be treated as 'hints' and not proof.

Sometimes Ancestry 'hints' are well off track - dates wrong, names spelled wrong, remote locations, as previously mentioned here.  And other trees can be entirely unsupported by sources.

However, sometimes really valuable clues are to be had.
I've found Ancestry suggesting a census which reflects the married name of my research subject, and a bit of delving can go backwards to find the marriage and confirm the likelihood of the census entry.

And on trees, sometimes additional children are shown (even with no sources) which can then be confirmed by going back over the GRO and finding additional entries with the correct MMN.

So I think that critical examination, just as we'd all use when researching directly, can be really useful.

And I must confess that with one well-researched part of my tree, I do have a look at a trusted researcher's tree for the same family.  He doesn't have sources attached to his public Ancestry tree - but I know if he says something, it's worth while taking a look, and checking it through for myself,  as I know his research is rigorous.....
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 16:08 GMT (UK) »
IgorStrav, your experience - and evaluations are so much the same as my own experience and findings. So well and clearly expressed.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 16:22 GMT (UK) »
IgorStrav, I agree with your comments as well.

They can be useful.
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 16:47 GMT (UK) »