Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 68304 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #342 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 23:42 BST (UK) »
The only way I have found to get around it is to go back one page to the correct version and then refresh the  page.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 23:43 BST (UK) »
Yes that's what I do.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 08:37 BST (UK) »
I partly disagree.  Whilst any algorithm to generate hints will throw up hints that are wrong I think there should be something programmed into the algorithm to discard hints that are completely impossible such as someone marrying at ag greater than 150, buried before they die, having children before they are born etc.  I'm not trying to suggest that researchers shouldn't double check and verify because absolutely they should but the number of absurd hints is ridiculous

I'm with you. I have some experience in computer programming, and when I'm designing a piece of code I think about how my brain would approach a problem, then translate it into code that a computer would understand. There are clearly some things which are hard to translate, like facial recognition, but comparing dated events should be fairly simple to programme.

For example, if "death year" - "birth year" > 120, show warning.
Or something like that. One line of code!

Obviously there needs to be some leeway, allowing for late baptisms for example, and dealing with locations may be difficult because people did move around sometimes more than we realise.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 13:42 BST (UK) »
The worst part is that they refuse to believe that their gazetteer is not comprehensive and correct. When you point out problems, their attitude is straight denial.

They do not provide any means of getting their gazetteer database corrected. It has serious errors and omissions, but Ancestry refuse to believe this.

This, coupled with the website's failure to parse perfectly valid addresses correctly, causes a LARGE proportion of the place name stupidities we see.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 14:58 BST (UK) »
The worst part is that they refuse to believe that their gazetteer is not comprehensive and correct. When you point out problems, their attitude is straight denial.

They do not provide any means of getting their gazetteer database corrected. It has serious errors and omissions, but Ancestry refuse to believe this.

This, coupled with the website's failure to parse perfectly valid addresses correctly, causes a LARGE proportion of the place name stupidities we see.

Absilutely, they have completely misattributed a whole batch of Scottish death records to the completely wrong part of the country.  They have stated the correct post code for the records as per the location held by the General Records office of Scotland. I e-mailed them and attached evidence.  When they hadn't got back to me after 6 weeks I called them.  They told me I "just didn't understand Scottish geography".  When I pointed out I was calling from that postcode area, knew exactly where I was and had sent them proof my point they said "well you knew the correct location so it didn't harm your research so it's OK".  argh!!
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 16:11 BST (UK) »
I am going through all my research to ensure I have fished them out of the pond by putting ENGLAND ----- on all addresses.. so many I had left as just Hinckley Leicester and they were swimming..

xin

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 16:49 BST (UK) »
I am going through all my research to ensure I have fished them out of the pond by putting ENGLAND ----- on all addresses.. so many I had left as just Hinckley Leicester and they were swimming..

xin
You can do a global change if you are using FTM, not sure if the facility exists for online trees.
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 16:53 BST (UK) »
excellent   thank you   

will check that out.

xin

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 17:03 BST (UK) »
It's easy on FTM

Back up first  :)

Find someone with an event in Hinckley and amend the current place in the 'live' field to Hinckley, Leicestershire, England.

Press enter or tab, you will then have the option to just change the place on this one or all of them.

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk