Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 68496 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #351 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 20:38 BST (UK) »
there we go been having fun with that 

Thank you Edward

xin

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 22:43 BST (UK) »
Fun? ;D ;D
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 22:57 BST (UK) »
It's not just Ancestry that has outdated geographical locations, familysearch doescas well. If you use their catalog to locate digital images, sometimes you need to know older names for places, or alternative spellings.
I use this method because not all of their digital images are available through the main page location search.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: Thursday 04 April 19 09:18 BST (UK) »
It's not just Ancestry that has outdated geographical locations, familysearch doescas well. If you use their catalog to locate digital images, sometimes you need to know older names for places, or alternative spellings.
The local government reorganisation in 1974 did not move places to different counties, it just placed them in different organisational units.

There have never been counties with the names "Avon", "Humberside", "Greater Manchester", "Cumbria" etc.; the places governed by those councils are STILL in their traditional counties. Note that many of those 1974 names have already disappeared, to be replaced by a plethora of more trendy "unitary authorities".

So it makes sense to use the traditional county names throughout. That way it's obvious when people stayed put and when they moved.

There is an oddity. London became a county in its own right in 1889. Because most of my research predates its invention, I use the earlier counties, such as Middlesex.

There are places which changed their name. Wootten Bassett, for instance, would now be filed under R for Royal, but relevant records are likely to be found under W. Another which comes to mind is Church Hulme, which became Holmes Chapel in 1974.

There are also latinised names which confuse the Usual Suspect websites. "Hulton Superior", where many of my ancestors lived, is now labelled "Over Hulton", and would have been consistently referred to as such in speech, even by the chap writing the latin version in the parish registers.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: Thursday 04 April 19 09:30 BST (UK) »
The local government reorganisation in 1974 did not move places to different counties, it just placed them in different organisational units. 

Not quite true.  In my part of the world, Warrington is an ancient town, always on the north bank of the Mersey and therefore originally in Lancashire.  Authority decided that it really belongs in Cheshire, a daft decision because that county has been largely non-industrial while southern Lancs became a mess of mining and industry long ago - including Warrington, which just avoided becoming part of Greater Manchester.

In any case a main river is a natural boundary, so why mess about?  Runcorn + Widnes = Halton (or Widcorn); Halton, the unitary authority, took its name from a Norman castle on the south side of the river.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: Thursday 04 April 19 10:13 BST (UK) »
I complained that they had assigned Birmingham to Yorkshire, West Riding.  They told me that I had to understand that boundaries move over time.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: Thursday 04 April 19 12:29 BST (UK) »
I complained that they had assigned Birmingham to Yorkshire, West Riding.  They told me that I had to understand that boundaries move over time.
;D
Cowban

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: Thursday 04 April 19 13:17 BST (UK) »
Yep, those tectonic plates were really moving that day!  ;D

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: Thursday 04 April 19 13:25 BST (UK) »
Does that mean a Brummagen accent can now be re-classified as Yorkshire dialect?
Cowban