Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 68489 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #378 on: Friday 05 April 19 22:17 BST (UK) »
Some people can be a bit confused by dates before 1751 or 1752 when the New Year changed from 25th March (or 26th March) to 1st January.

26th March 1722 to 25th March 1722 was the start and end dates of 1722. So January 1722 was the 10th month of the year. So October 1722 was the 7th month of the year.

October 1722 was before January 1722. So a baby buried in Oct 1722 and a baby baptised in Jan 1722 cannot be the same person as Jan 1722 was after Oct 1722.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: Saturday 06 April 19 15:06 BST (UK) »
Some people can be a bit confused by dates before 1751 or 1752 when the New Year changed from 25th March (or 26th March) to 1st January.

26th March 1722 to 25th March 1722 was the start and end dates of 1722. So January 1722 was the 10th month of the year. So October 1722 was the 7th month of the year.

Actually, because the year begins DURING March, that is the first month. That means that September to December are the seventh to tenth months, justifying their names.

It doesn't sound like a big difference, but Quaker records use the ordinal numbers for the months rather than the names. Eight of those names are derived from pagan roots and did not sit comfortably in their environment. You occasionally find the likes of "the fifth month, commonly called August".

After the change to the Gregorian Calendar, Quakers normally referred to January as the first month.

The adoption of the new calendar happened at different times in different countries, so dates can be confusing. FamilySearch seem to have converted most dates to "new style", but there are no guarantees. You need to see the documents to be sure.

Any decent family history software should allow the input of dates such as 25 Jan 1751/2, which shows not only when an event took place, but that you understand the date confusion problem.

I have even come across parish registers which used this format, showing that the confusion is not a new thing.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: Saturday 06 April 19 15:20 BST (UK) »
One of the attached snips show the warning message given when entering a 'double year' date direct into Ancestry.

The other one shows the display given when entered via FTM and then synchronised.

Looks line Ancestry cannot handle it  :o

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: Saturday 06 April 19 18:48 BST (UK) »
I have even come across parish registers which used this format, showing that the confusion is not a new thing.

I have transcribed a few.  Sometimes one comes across something like 21 November 1733/34, which makes little sense as November will always be in the same 'logical' year.  So what does it mean?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: Saturday 06 April 19 19:53 BST (UK) »

I have transcribed a few.  Sometimes one comes across something like 21 November 1733/34, which makes little sense as November will always be in the same 'logical' year.  So what does it mean?
Presumably, part of that year was known as 1733, but perhaps not ;D.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: Monday 08 April 19 02:41 BST (UK) »

Too much holy winecwhile filling out the register?  ::)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 17:51 BST (UK) »
Words almost fail me

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 18:05 BST (UK) »

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 20:45 BST (UK) »
I have seen the 1930 US census being cited as proof of a birth in 1500s England.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others