Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 68311 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #396 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 20:48 BST (UK) »
Re Edward's reply #384, baptism 420 years after birth. I'll raise you 200 years. ;D  A tree I saw this week - woman born shortly before 1300; baptism 1934. The baptism was LDS (Mormon) so there is no suggestion that the person was present at the ceremony.
Curious that the man in Edward's post remained in Suffolk all his life and only went to Cambridge for his post-mortem baptism. I wonder what was happening in Manea, Cambridge in 1830?

Oh dear.

When I see someone baptised a year before they were born and impossible differences, I wonder why.

I can only think of:- failing to check, sillyness, people's gullibility, fraud, sabotage etc.

I couldn't link to any Tree, without an initial analysis first of that Tree and then if it looked feasible - a forensic full document analysis of that other Tree.

----------

After some excellent research and suggestions by Rootschatters.

After extensive searching for possible HOODs, note taking from actual document and Register images (including obtaining images by Post), making surnames pc searchable / traceable; plus Wills, people associated with my ancestor in documents, Surveys and Deed Registrations; including Marriage witnesses, I could probably link my George Hood to three different HOOD Fathers now and provide either partial or suggestive evidence to support all three, for a Dad.

But he can only have one Father.

----------

I think my total Will bundles scans bill (at prices of £10 to £15 each and one at £25) must easily be over a £1,000. Not to mention those read on film, during trips to Yorkshire and overnight Hotel stays, half a dozen times. Plus those Wills already online.

I'm waiting for 3 Will bundle scans currently, all have supporting reasons as to why I should see them for possible clues or even possible links. Perhaps three more Wills won't help, but without looking I'll never know.

When I see absolute illogical rubbish, we all must think what is their motive.

Mark

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: Friday 31 May 19 19:06 BST (UK) »
I totally agree with you Mark and I can probably match you for the cost of Will bundles (just don't tell my husband!!)  Having seen the mess made of my ancestors online I decided to research them to the best of my ability using whatever information I could find.  I have managed back to the mid 1500's using Wills, land records, court records etc and now just need to find info on who I think is the father of the last confirmed who was born, according to information, around the 1460's.  There's nothing like digging as it's such a thrill when you find what you are looking for.

It beats me why people post such rubbish about their ancestors.  If I can get back to the 1500's from the comfort of my own armchair (and you can get such wonderful information on your ancestors), why can't they.  I understand that copies of records cost money, but all hobbies come at a cost and I'd rather know for sure who's blood runs through my veins

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: Friday 31 May 19 22:32 BST (UK) »
Question to Snowqueen:  My mum started the ancestry journey in the late 80s, with nothing more than a pen and paper, and some family archives!  So yes, it`s definitely possible to find a lot before you even start to spend money (and she did spend some money - mostly on certificates and the services of an archivist in the UK).

I`m trying to focus in on my two parents` families first, and would be interested to know more about how you got hold of Wills etc.  I found some in the Jersey Archive site, but that`s all I have.  The National Archives site is daunting!  Any advice you could provide (off this thread if you wish) would be much appreciated!  I`m in Canada, so it must definitely be armchair accessible!  :)

thanks
Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: Friday 31 May 19 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Mc_C,

It depends where and when your ancestor died.  After 1858 the Wills are centralised, before that local.  My ancestors are mostly from Yorkshire so I get the earlier Wills from the Borthwick Institute in York.

If it's Jersey you are looking at, Find my Past website have an Index to Jersey Wills 1564-2000.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: Saturday 01 June 19 16:53 BST (UK) »
I`m trying to focus in on my two parents` families first, and would be interested to know more about how you got hold of Wills etc. 
I suggest you post a general enquiry about wills on either Family History Beginner's board or The Common Room. As snowqueen said, advice depends on when and where and whether a testator had property in more than one jurisdiction.
 Have you read the guide to wills on National Archive Discovery site?
There are some online FH websites with info & advice. One of the best known is GENGuide.
Cowban

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: Saturday 01 June 19 20:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks snowqueen and maiden stone for your responses.  I will follow your advice.  I did locate the National Probate Calendar (1858 and forward), which has an easy search feature. 

Much appreciated.

Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: Saturday 01 June 19 21:07 BST (UK) »
For Prerogative Court of Canterbury (PCC) wills 1384-1858, go here http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/wills-1384-1858/ and enter search details.

It isn't as hard as you may feel :)

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: Saturday 01 June 19 23:39 BST (UK) »

Oh dear.

When I see someone baptised a year before they were born and impossible differences, I wonder why.

The 1-year baptism error can be quite easy to make

If the birth date is first recorded from the census, this has a bias to be later than the actual birth date

E.g. someone showing as 18 in 1851 will be shown as born in 1833 though there's a 8/12 probability that it was actually 1832.

If you then find a baptism in 1832 and enter it, it won't usually suggest and update the birth, leaving it at 1833

Yes, it's a bit careless not to update the date, but not the most heinous crime

Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: Monday 03 June 19 13:44 BST (UK) »

Quite a few Irish people appear to be baptised some time before their birth.

The main reason is that Catholics were supposed to have their children christened within a few days of birth.
They didn't always get round to registering the birth within the allotted time - so, when they DID finally register, they just put down a random date within the allowed time (or sometimes registered a year later).
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford