Author Topic: Help wanted - new to Scottish research!  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help wanted - new to Scottish research!
« on: Thursday 04 October 18 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all. I have posted this to the general forum at this stage as I am after some direction from people more familiar with Scottish research than myself. I am more familiar with Irish, English, and Australian research.
I am trying to find some more information on my husband's line of Kennedy who appear in the 1851 and 1861 census records as living in Lochgilphead, Argyll. The husband was James Kennedy who was born around 1806 and his wife was Mary (no surname yet!) also born around 1806. From the census records they appear to have both been born in County Antrim (maybe?). James was an auctioneer. I have his death in 1866 in Lochgilphead from a newspaper entry.

I have the son George in the 1861 and 1871 census already. I also have the son James who appears in 1861 living in Kilarrow, Argyll with his young family.

I am having trouble finding a marriage for James and Mary in the 1820s. Possible John Neison was a brother perhaps. Where is the husband James in 1851? I can't see an obvious entry, but he must be there somewhere! I have had not luck finding baptisms for the children in Ireland or Scotland. The 1861 census transcription must be wrong as the girls appear to be the same age they were in the 1851 census!
I have also had no luck finding them on later census records or marriages.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who sees anything relevant or can point me in the right direction for further information. Census transcriptions below.....
Thanks, Katharine.

Lochnell Street, Lochgilphead, Argyll
Mary KENNEDY 45 (b.c.1806) wife, Island County Antran, occ.East Wan Marchanter
Margaret KENNEDY 25 (b.c.1826) dau, Island County Antran, occ.Millener
Sarah KENNEDY 23 (b.c.1828) dau, Island County Antran, occ.Millener
George KENNEDY 16 (b.c.1835) son, Island County Antran, occ.Baker
John NEISON 45 (b.c.1806) visitor, Island County Antran, occ.Wari Hakei

Carmichaelas Land, Lochgilphead
James KENNEDY 55 (b.c.1806) Head, NK Ireland, Auctioneer and Merchant
Mary KENNEDY 53 (b.c.1808) Wife, Ireland
Margaret KENNEDY 22 (b.c.1839) dau, Ireland, occ.Milliner
Sarah KENNEDY 20 (b.c.1841) dau, Ireland, occ.Milliner
Mary KENNEDY 13 (b.c.1848) dau, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, occ.Domestic Servant

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted - new to Scottish research!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 October 18 09:52 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at Scotlands People?  You have to buy credits but then you can look at the full death certificate immediately for a very reasonable price.

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/record-results?search_type=People&surname=kennedy&forename=james&forename_so=exact&from_year=1866&to_year=1866&surname_so=exact&record_type=stat_deaths

The death certificate for James has provision for the names of his parents and the maiden name of his wife (if the person notifying the death knew those details)
Similarly if you can track down Mary's death...
The birth of the one daughter in Scotland is sadly before civil registration, but nevertheless the parish register may yield more information than the english ones do.

A marriage cert for any of the children will have both parent's names on too

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 October 18 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

had some spare credits so looked at DC.  Died 18 Feb 1866.    Wife predeceased him.   Wifes maiden name Jackson.    No details of Father or Mother.    Informant was son George

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 October 18 10:58 BST (UK) »
1871 Son George with wife Sarah b1836, nephew James b1858 and niece Mary Ann b1862.    Residing at Murrays Property, South Knapdale, Lochgilphead, Argyllshire

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 October 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much to both. Yes I did look at Scotland's people. Saw the entry for 1866 but wasn't sure what would be on the record. Thought I would try and get some more direction before bothering with credits.
Jackson - fantastic. That's a good lead. I will go and have a look for the wife as she must have died between 1861 census and 1866 death of James. Are you able to send me a copy by PM of the entry for James' death?

I would have thought some marriages for the girls would come up somewhere? Any suggestions? Katharine.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 October 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
According to the 'contributed' IGI at FamilySearch James Kennedy was born on 17 September 1857 in Kildalton and Mary Anne Kennedy on 1 March 1862 in Kilarrow, Argyll, parents James Kennedy and Ann Millar. They had two other children, George, born 20 October 1859 in Kilarrow, and William Jack, born 9 May 1864 in Lochgilphead. There are matching listings for all four on SP. William's birth certificate will tell you when and where James Kennedy and Ann Millar were married.

The SP index to the 1861 census lists in Bowmore and Kilarrow James Kennedy, 22; Ann Kennedy, 26; John, 9; James, 4; and George, 0. (James would actually have been 3 and George 1 on census day 1861.) I wonder if John is the one baptised in Stornoway on 3 March 1853 to James Kennedy and Nancy Millar, who were married in Stornoway on 3 July 1851?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 October 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, that all sounds correct and in line with what I already have on James (jr) and his wife Ann Millar. Ann was from Stornoway herself.

My query above is more or less looking at the siblings (particularly the sisters Sarah, Mary, and Margaret) and trying to find more information on James parents!
As was noted James Sr died in 1866. I have now found the registration for Mary Kennedy's death in 1864. Went back to papers and could not find mention of her death though.
I did find a possible marriage in 1863 of Sarah Kennedy to Michael Graham at Lochgilphead, but am not sure it is her.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 October 18 15:19 BST (UK) »
As was noted James Sr died in 1866. I have now found the registration for Mary Kennedy's death in 1864. Went back to papers and could not find mention of her death though.
There might not have been an announcement in the papers, nevr mind a full obituary. The death certificate may be your only evidence of the death.

I did find a possible marriage in 1863 of Sarah Kennedy to Michael Graham at Lochgilphead, but am not sure it is her.
Get the certificate. It will tell you the full names of the parents of Sarah Kennedy and Michael Graham, including their mothers' maiden surnames.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 October 18 15:27 BST (UK) »
Okay, thanks. I will buy credits on Scotlands people to get them. :)