Author Topic: Act of Thomas Lad  (Read 568 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Act of Thomas Lad
« on: Friday 05 October 18 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm hoping someone here can give me a summary of what is said in the attached 1554 Probate Act for Thomas Lad of Elham. I can read "Thomas Lad" and the place name "Elham" as well as can also see two other people named "Thomas" although I'm not sure what their surenames are.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Act of Thomas Lad
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 October 18 06:17 BST (UK) »
There's a word (may be two words) I can't make out on the second line (after quorum).

However, in essence it appears that administration of the goods of Thomas Lad of the parish of Elham are granted to Thome Lad filio eiusd(em) = Thomas Lad the son of the same.  The younger Thomas has been sworn.

Three people have been bound - the said Thomas (ie the younger), nicolaus Boll & Thomas Tibold (or Tibolde), all of Elham.  The bond is for xlli = 40 pounds.

It ends with mention of the sum of an Inventory, but unless I am mistaken no amount is given in the clip.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 October 18 15:34 BST (UK) »
There's a word (may be two words) I can't make out on the second line (after quorum).

However, in essence it appears that administration of the goods of Thomas Lad of the parish of Elham are granted to Thome Lad filio eiusd(em) = Thomas Lad the son of the same.  The younger Thomas has been sworn.

Three people have been bound - the said Thomas (ie the younger), nicolaus Boll & Thomas Tibold (or Tibolde), all of Elham.  The bond is for xlli = 40 pounds.

It ends with mention of the sum of an Inventory, but unless I am mistaken no amount is given in the clip.

Thanks for the info. There are several Thomas Lads in my Lad[d] Family tree. I think think Thomas may be the son of Simon Lad who died in 1528 leaving a Will. Simon had four children: John, Thomas, Isabell, and George. Isabell married John Ussher but I don't know anything about the others.

Anyhow it gives me something to think on.

Thanks again
Matt

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 October 18 18:21 BST (UK) »

Bonorum ... quorum em(an)a(vi)t ad(ministraci)o ...
Of the goods ... of which administration was issued ...

A very minor point, but I don’t think this is the actual grant of administration. The word-order suggests that the grant has already been made, and that the purpose of this item is simply to record the names of those who were bound to submit the inventory of the goods.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 October 18 21:29 BST (UK) »

A very minor point, but I don’t think this is the actual grant of administration. The word-order suggests that the grant has already been made, and that the purpose of this item is simply to record the names of those who were bound to submit the inventory of the goods.

Thanks for adding that bit. I can't work out who this relates to yet however so I'll file it with my "unknown Wills" .

Matt

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 October 18 06:03 BST (UK) »

Thank you for providing the missing word, and for explaining the difference regarding the grant.