Author Topic: William MIDDLETON Birth Search - 1799 London  (Read 953 times)

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William MIDDLETON Birth Search - 1799 London
« on: Friday 05 October 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
Request assistance for finding the birth record and parent's names for a William MIDDLETON, born in London 1799.  This is what we know:

William MIDDLETON was born in London, England, in 1799.  William was an Officer der Marine who died at age 48 in Soerabaja 7 Sep 1847.   He married in Batavia on 3 Nov 1840 to Eliza Anne HANSON.  Eliza Anne is the daughter of a British Army Lieutenant, Henry Hanson.

Children, all born in the Dutch East Indies:

1.  George MIDDLETON, born 1840; died Soerabaja 15 Jun 1841.

2.  Henry Frederick MIDDLETON, born in Soerabaja 5 Apr 1844, died in Sidoardjo 18 Jun 1896, married in Kediri  27 Dec 1870 to Anna Catharina  LEIJDER.

3.  Charles Edward MIDDLETON, born in Soerabaja 15 Mar 1846, died at age 50 on 18 Jun 1896, married 1883 to Sara.

4.  Thomas William Augustus MIDDLETON, born in Krawang 3 Feb 1848, died at age 67 in Bandoeng 22 Jan 1915; married 1897 to Imoeng.

William was the captain of several sailing vessels called barks according to Java newspaper accounts.  They were the Orestes, Jane, and Kalimaas sailing in the east indies in the 1840-1847 era.

We have been wondering if there are any resources available to identify William’s birth details and identity of his parents.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Rob van Haastert

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William MIDDLETON Birth Search - 1799 London
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 October 18 22:17 BST (UK) »
He married in Batavia on 3 Nov 1840 to Eliza Anne HANSON.

A marriage certificate in England at that time would name his father but I don't know what kind of details would be taken for a marriage there  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 October 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hello
The only baptism I can see about the right date in London is this one at Deptford st Nicholas

William Middleton s of James and Sarah Middleton a pilot stowage 28th Jan 1798.
Siblings  Sarah 17.5.1789,Mary  Ann 29.8.1790,James Robert 16.6.1793 and Robert James 7.6.1796 who became a lighter man.

Of course there is no proof he is the one but worth further investigation.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Milliepede,

Thank you for replying.

A lot of the remaining governmental records of the Dutch East Indies (Nederland Oost Indie) are contained in Regerings-almanak van Nederlandsch-Indië, 1815-1942.  RA's for short.  Unfortunately, the RAs will list a birth, but not the parents; marriages but not the parents; deaths but not the age - frustrating, but clues to reconstruct families.  Some information is available from newspapers, however, names are shortened to single letters. 

So, I have the marriage announcement, but alas, no parent names.

Thanks again,

Robert

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker,

Thank you for the clue.  I am digging into what records are available for this MIDDLETON family. 

Unfortunately, Ancestry and FamilySearch only have a few records, but it is pre-1800.  More records seems to be available for the Middleton siblings:  sister Mary Ann and brother Robert James.

I am still researching.  Leaves are falling which require clean up in preparation for an Alaskan winter; snow is expected within a week; my focus will return to this Middleton family.

I was hoping a will from a family member might identify if their brother William was located in England or in the Indies.  The census' will require some time also.  Either way would eliminate this family group or for me to focus on this family.

Thanks again!

Rob