Author Topic: Searching for help with Padden and Clark Families of Co. Sligo/Co. Roscommon.  (Read 3714 times)

Offline derrygolagh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for help with Padden and Clark Families of Co. Sligo/Co. Roscommon.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 October 18 20:01 BST (UK) »

Myluck and Heywood

Thank you both very much for the information you have posted.  I am very grateful for your corrections and I had been led the wrong way. 

I will really have to go and study it tomorrow, so hope it rains!!!

I automatically thought that if someone had posted their own family tree that it would be accurate but that seems not to be the case. 

Should have started with RootsChat before reading other sites.

Thank you both once again am very grateful.

Regards.

Liz

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for help with Padden and Clark Families of Co. Sligo/Co. Roscommon.
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 October 18 20:19 BST (UK) »
Looks like you have an Oak tree that is growing apples!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 October 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
No problem Liz
I always check what in other family trees as some people are wrong "in good faith"!

Just to add in the marraige record of 1866 Michael MORRISROWE (as spelt) was shown as a minot which would imply born after 1846 i.e. not yet 21 and would tie in better with the death record.

Civil record of marraige is available but not online LINK
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline derrygolagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 October 18 13:28 BST (UK) »

Hello Heywood, Myluck! and Hallmark

Thank you all for your help.

I am now looking for an axe to cut down the Oak tree!!!

After studying your replies I am not sure now who I really am!!!

I knew we were connected to the Crofton family as my grandfather John Patrick McDonagh born circa 1861 in Derrygolagh, County Sligo (mother Sarah Morrisroe born circa 1838) had an uncle Bartholomew Morrisroe born 1836 - death after 1901 in Brougher.  Bartholomew married Mary Ann Crofton and he came to England and one by one his children joined him including my grandfather.  Around 1901 Bartholomew returned to Brougher and lived with his wife and son Edward who was the only son who stayed in Ireland all his life.

The Michael Morrisroe born 1841 death 1901 could have been the brother of my great grandmother Sarah Morrisroe, she married Michael McDonagh but I can't understand why someone would be known as Padden if their surname was Crofton.  I saw some records before and wondered if two Morrisroe brothers had married two Crofton sisters but you said that Michael Morrisroe and Elizabeth (Bessie) Padden both had a mother surname Crofton. 

Why would she be known as Padden if her surname was Crofton?

Now in a complete muddle.

Have you any idea why someone would change their surname because the person they were marrying had the same surname as themself or am I getting into some territory that I should leave well alone?

Thank you once again for your help and patience.

Regards.

Liz

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 October 18 13:39 BST (UK) »

The Michael Morrisroe born 1841 death 1901 could have been the brother of my great grandmother Sarah Morrisroe, she married Michael McDonagh but I can't understand why someone would be known as Padden if their surname was Crofton.  I saw some records before and wondered if two Morrisroe brothers had married two Crofton sisters but you said that Michael Morrisroe and Elizabeth (Bessie) Padden both had a mother surname Crofton. 

Why would she be known as Padden if her surname was Crofton?

Liz
From what I can see - a Michael MORRISROE married a Bessie CROFTON in 1866
I cannot make any connection to the name PADDEN
However it was not unusual that word of mouth changed, mixed-up and/or misused names
Also some people added a second name, either first or last, to clarify which family was being talked about if a last name was common in an area

The marriage record I found made no reference to the mother's name (first or last) for Michael or Bessie, only their father's names
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 October 18 13:40 BST (UK) »
No need to be drastic....follow the advice here

https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/irish-roots.html

and then just check what you have against actual records!

Step by step back in time!

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 October 18 13:49 BST (UK) »
If there is a Padden, as in your first post, that is a previous generation.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline derrygolagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 12:40 BST (UK) »

Hello dathai

Yes that is definitely it and thank you so much for posting it. 

I have dug back into some of my records and found that I actually did previously have that record but thank you very much for confirming that my previous find was correct.

Kind regards.

Liz
 :D   :D   :D