Author Topic: Facebook, private messages.  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Facebook, private messages.
« on: Wednesday 24 October 18 23:31 BST (UK) »
I am having problems, either writing a private message or replying to a private message on Facebook. In both cases I can only write about 20 words and the cursor slows down and doesn't keep up with the words I am typing. After about 30 words the whole message stops and will not continue or let me delete part or all of the message. The only thing I can do is come out of the message  by using the back arrow.
I then have to start again typing my message and posting in short sentences, or if I need to post a longer message I type it in word then copy and paste it into the message section of facebook.
Can anybody help me with this? Thank you
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook, private messages.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 18 01:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't help but I have similar problems with fb using firefox & vista i.e. it may be something to do with that (in my case) as firefox seems to be slow or cuts out often (not all the time)?

I've noticed the same problem when my comp is doing a defrag which I think has been set for a certain time (by my brother when he installed it I think)? or it defrags itself at times...not sure on the latter?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Keyboard buffering is nothing to do with Facebook, Firefox, Chrome or any other user software.

It's handled by Desktop Windows Manager!

I have heard rumours that Microsoft have deliberately slowed down DWM on older versions of Windows (XP, Vista, 7) in order to "encourage" a move to Windows 10?

I get the same problem (not just on Facebook) on my Windows 7 desktop!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies, it seems i am not alone with this problem. I use Window 10 so it seems to be a universal problem. I will just have to remember to keep my messages short.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies, it seems i am not alone with this problem. I use Window 10 so it seems to be a universal problem. I will just have to remember to keep my messages short.
Pat

I don't use Facebook but..... what happens if you use a Word Document, for example, write your message....then cut and paste that on Facebook   as your Facebook message?

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 October 18 11:20 BST (UK) »
Have you tried downloading the messenger app and send from there rather than using messenger in FB... same thing and the messages will still appear as private messages in FB.

You sign in using your FB ID and password
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 October 18 13:37 BST (UK) »
I find that Facebook can be horrendously slow dealing with any keyboard input, and often mouse clicks too. "See all replies" can take a minute or more. It doesn't seem to matter which browser I use.

It seems to be because of the heavy processing needed to deal with the scripts that they think is a "modern" interface. Older PCs have problems keeping up, while mobile devices cope even with slower processes because they are only dealing with a small section of the display. Why they think that everyone wants play whack-a-mole chasing their animations round the screen is beyond me.

I too rely on assembling the post in another program - usually Notepad - and pasting into the browser. That way also stops me worrying about whether Enter will start a fresh line or finish the post.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 October 18 14:09 BST (UK) »

I too rely on assembling the post in another program - usually Notepad - and pasting into the browser. That way also stops me worrying about whether Enter will start a fresh line or finish the post.

So that is OK?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 October 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
After reading this post I decided to count the last message that I'd sent on facebook.  I have firefox and Windows 10.

I counted 40 words and the previous post was 30 words - both sent to my daughter.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke