Author Topic: dna test for family member at same address  (Read 666 times)

Online lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
dna test for family member at same address
« on: Thursday 25 October 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

can anyone help with explaining how (and if) this would work.

A family member has an ancestry subscription (doesn't have a dna test), and is thinking of getting a dna test for another family member who is at the same address.

So the name of the test person will be different to that of the subscription. 
So then when the test person gets the results, can they access the results and see any links which may be there via the existing subscription or are they expected to pay for another subscription?

I don't really want to pay for 2 subs to be able to see anything that may result.

thanks,

Lisa

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: dna test for family member at same address
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 March 19 14:37 BST (UK) »
The new person will need to set up a free account at Ancestry to activate the test. After that they go into Settings from the DNA home page and assign rights to View, Collaborate or Manage the kit to the person who has the account with the subscription. The DNA result can then be linked to the appropriate individual on the tree by the person who has the sub.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 March 19 15:26 BST (UK) »
My husband doesn't have an Ancestry account,but I manage his DNA test results under my subscription.

He did have to set up a separate email account from mine though (he doesn't have one as he never uses the computer)

In fact his DNA results found more closer cousin matches than I did  ::)

On the Ancestry DNA results I can click on either my name or drop down to his.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 March 19 16:35 BST (UK) »
hello,
thank you both for your help, it all worked out ok, I think it's more straight forward once you start the process, rather than thinking about it.

Lisa