Author Topic: Change of name  (Read 841 times)

Offline nab1970

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Change of name
« on: Friday 26 October 18 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My grandad's birth certificate (in 1899) doesn't have a fathers name so he took his mother's surname (Hilliard). However by the time he married 20 odd years later he had the surname of the man who married his mother (Hazlehurst).

My question is will there be a documen tthat shows this change from one surname to another and if so where could I find it?
Thanks. 

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Change of name
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 October 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
Unless he chose to change his name by deed poll, then I wouldn't consider it likely that there would be any official record of his new surname.

I'm not sure when deed polls came into existence so there may be nothing official at all regarding any change of surname.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 October 18 20:46 BST (UK) »
There is an article from the Nat. Arch. regarding name changes:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/changes-of-name/

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 October 18 21:18 BST (UK) »
It has always been perfectly legal for people to use another name ( and still is) without offical or legal paperwork as long as they are not doing it to commit a crime.

There were many children born outside of marriage and until the last few decades, this was seen as shameful to the mother, child and their extended family so many took the surname of their step father or simply made a father up when they eventually married that way the 'family shame' in society stopped as they moved on with their life........ thankfully times have changed and we as a society don't blame /shame people now
So you wont find a document of a name change, you just need to research each and every record during their life time so you can cross reference them all and come to your own educated conclusion about their life.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline nab1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 October 18 21:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the prompt responses.
I guess from the information you have supplied that I won't find anything official to confirm the name change. It's frustrating that the family history on the fathers line can't be traced with any certainty.

Thanks again.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 October 18 21:38 BST (UK) »
Even if he did it by Deed poll instead of common-usage it would only record the change from mother's name to  Hazlehurst.

If Hazlehurst wasn't the father then you wouldn't get any info on father anyway so it makes no difference.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 October 18 21:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm afraid trying to find fathers of illegitimate children is a thankless task.  You may possibly get a clue from names given to the child.  Particularly if one looks more like a surname than a christian name.

Sometimes it is worth looking around the areas in which the mother worked or lived.  Regrettably most of the time it is a hopeless task.

I would imagine that it would be very rare to find any written evidence of the name of the child's father.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 October 18 22:30 BST (UK) »
Maybe you should search and see if you can find Petty Sessions for a maintenance order against the father, also newspapers can be a food source
Check the PR record to see if the vicar knew who he was and some did write some very unsavoury comments next to a childs baptism (but you need the real record not an online transcrption) and if the parish day book is still in existance they are always worth reading
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 October 18 22:39 BST (UK) »
A few more suggestions of documents that might show name changes:

1) 1939 Register
As the register was continually updated, name changes may be recorded. This was common for women (when they married) but sometimes also happened for men. I've come across examples of this where there seemed to be doubt about a man's father, and the man changed their surname later in life (after the register was recorded).

2) Death certificates
If someone changed surnames but was still known by both names sometimes both names are recorded on death certificates, and also on the index.

3) Wills and probates
If someone changed surnames but was still known by both names it's sometimes recorded on their will, and if so, it may be recorded on probate indexes under both names.

And a couple of suggestions for finding illegitimate fathers:

1) Baptism records
Occasionally baptism records name fathers of illegitimate children, even if the father isn't named on the birth certificate.

2) Newspapers
Occasionally you can find newspaper items of fathers being ordered to pay maintenance charges for illegitimate children.

EDIT:
iluleah ninja'd me re. finding illegitimate fathers.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson