Author Topic: Christened twice in two churches  (Read 956 times)

Offline Yomagsy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christened twice in two churches
« on: Saturday 27 October 18 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have found 2 entries on family Search for the baptism of an ancestor, both in 1820 in Chesterfield in Derbyshire.Chesterfield
He was born on 5 Feb 1820 and baptised into the Chesterfield Weslyan Chapel on 20th Feb.
Then, on  23 Apr 1820. he was baptised again in St. Mary &  All Saints, Chesterfield.
he has an unusual name, as does his father and these two, with the same mother, are on both entries so they have to be the same child ?

Any thoughts as to why, would be appreciated.
Thanks

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christened twice in two churches
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 October 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
Apparently there were differences of opinion in the Church of England as to the validity of non-conformist baptism, which is probably why he was baptised again at the insistence of the vicar.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yomagsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 18 15:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks stanmapstone. Those were my thoughts too.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 18 16:03 BST (UK) »
Quite common apparently.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline axholme1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 October 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I found a similar thing with several of my ancestor's children in Salford, first baptised in Salford and then in Manchester cathedral (several on the same day). In this case, it seems there was a special service and nearly 100 people were baptised on the same day in a special ceremony in 1821. Maybe by a Billy Graham-type preacher?

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 October 18 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I found a similar thing with several of my ancestor's children in Salford, first baptised in Salford and then in Manchester cathedral (several on the same day). In this case, it seems there was a special service and nearly 100 people were baptised on the same day in a special ceremony in 1821. Maybe by a Billy Graham-type preacher?

Multiple baptisms and weddings were common at Manchester Cathedral (Collegiate Church). Were the majority infants?
What date was it?
There were sometimes duplicate entries in registers because a ceremony happened at a chapel-of-ease and was also recorded in parish church register.

Edit. I've looked at 2 baptism registers on LANOPC 1815 & 1834. 1821 register isn't there.
Average number of baptisms was 50 on 5th, 12th & 19th Jan. 1834, more than on days in between. Those dates may have been Sundays. Similar pattern for October 1815. 102 baptisms 24th Dec. 1815; dozens more on 25th Dec. and about 70 on 31st Dec. with smaller numbers on intervening days.

Cowban

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 October 18 21:56 BST (UK) »
Duplicate Nonconformist and Anglican  babtisms were quite common in my nonconformist family.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 October 18 22:03 BST (UK) »
Before  1837,  virtually  all  nonconformists  except Quakers and Jews  were  baptised /married  in  the Church of England because ceremonies of other denominations were not legally valid.

https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/site-elements/documents/pdf/leisure/record-office/records/nonconformist-guide.pdf
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline axholme1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 October 18 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I found a similar thing with several of my ancestor's children in Salford, first baptised in Salford and then in Manchester cathedral (several on the same day).

Multiple baptisms and weddings were common at Manchester Cathedral (Collegiate Church). Were the majority infants?
What date was it?
There were sometimes duplicate entries in registers because a ceremony happened at a chapel-of-ease and was also recorded in parish church register.

Edit. I've looked at 2 baptism registers on LANOPC 1815 & 1834. 1821 register isn't there.
Average number of baptisms was 50 on 5th, 12th & 19th Jan. 1834, more than on days in between. Those dates may have been Sundays. Similar pattern for October 1815. 102 baptisms 24th Dec. 1815; dozens more on 25th Dec. and about 70 on 31st Dec. with smaller numbers on intervening days.

This was on 7/1/1821, baptisms for Samuel, James and Joseph Oddy. This was when I first started researching my family history, back in the 1990s before the internet, so it was mostly from the IGI. I initially thought they were triplets, but from census returns and marriage certificates, realised that Joseph was first baptised on 30/4/1809 and married Sarah Dixon on 23/8/1826. Samuel was first baptised on 13/2/1820 and married Mary Dyson on 14/10/1839. I think it may have been a first baptism for James. I did go to Manchester to look at the baptism records and got the impression that there were many baptisms done on that day.