Author Topic: Witnesses Mary Ann Wood & Robert Goodwill 23rd Dec 1851 who were they, please?  (Read 1493 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hello

Marriage on 23rd December 1851 in the Register Office Scarborough County of York
William Hood, 35 years, Bachelor, Common Brewer, of Selby, Yorkshire, Father George Hood, Brewer.
Jane Casson, 34 years, Spinster, of The Friarage, Scarborough, Father Curtis Casson, Miller.

In the presence of us, Mary Ann Wood and Robert Goodwill

A thought came into my mind today, that these witnesses are most unlikely to be Quakers or her Quaker family and might even be Hood relations somehow?

Because, when we saw those York Quaker Minutes at Leeds Brotherton Library, Jane Hood (nee Casson) had got into big trouble, due to marrying William Hood outside of the Quaker Meeting and Quaker proceedings were issued against her (which looking at others) would usually end in a 'Testimony of Denial' (seems a bit like excommunication).

Therefore, the Witnesses at the Scarborough Register Office 23rd December 1851 are unlikely to be her Quaker family and unlikely to be Quakers. The witnesses could even be distant Hood relations?

I'm wondering who were the marriage witnesses Mary Ann Wood and Robert Goodwill and could they help me with my George Hood of Selby (married Sarah Russel 1815) brick-wall?

Thank you, Mark

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Witnesses Mary Ann Wood & Robert Goodwill 23rd Dec 1851 who were they, please?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 October 18 22:11 BST (UK) »
As the marriage was in a census year have you tried looking for the witness names in Scarborough in 1851?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Witnesses Mary Ann Wood & Robert Goodwill 23rd Dec 1851 who were they, please?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 October 18 15:48 GMT (UK) »
As the marriage was in a census year have you tried looking for the witness names in Scarborough in 1851?

Hello

Thanks. Yes, I did, look at Scarborough in the 1851 Census

Robert Goodwill, aged 16, Solicitors Clerk, born Sinnington. He likely dies Scarborough in 1857 aged 22.

There was a Robert Goodwill in the 1851 Census at Whitby, aged 44, born Cloughton (near Scarborough). His Wife was Elizabeth Goodwill, aged 38, born Staithes, Yorkshire.

Can't seem to find any other Hood connection yet.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 February 20 10:23 GMT (UK) »

Hello

Thanks. Yes, I did, look at Scarborough in the 1851 Census

Robert Goodwill, aged 16, Solicitors Clerk, born Sinnington. He likely dies Scarborough in 1857 aged 22.

There was a Robert Goodwill in the 1851 Census at Whitby, aged 44, born Cloughton (near Scarborough). His Wife was Elizabeth Goodwill, aged 38, born Staithes, Yorkshire.

Can't seem to find any other Hood connection yet.

Mark

Hello

Since originally posting we have been looking at possibles for this Robert Goodwill present at the William Hood of Selby & Jane Casson 1851 Marriage at Scarborough Register Office.

Jane Casson a Quaker was marrying William against strict Quaker rules and faced disciplinary investigation afterward (York Meeting Minutes), so unlikely to be Jane's relatives. Whilst no direct family connections can be made to my Hood of Selby yet, the majority of Yorkshire Robert Goodwills found came from an area Lastingham to Strensall (which included the places of Malton and Pickering).

Will of Ann Hood, Spinster, 1782, New Malton
Linked to several different surnames including Christopher STAMPER of New Malton and five other STAMPER females.

1720 Christopher Stamper married Lucy Hood at Old Malton.

Goodwill & Stamper, Links
1813 Robert Goodwill and Mary Stamper at Lastingham. Present William Gardener & John Stamper.

1831 William Goodwill and Mary Ann Stamper, Spinster at Scarborough. Present John Stamper & Elisabeth Goodwill.

1840 Feb'y, John Goodwill, Widower, Residence Norton, Father Isaac Goodwill, Wheelwright and Mary Sudersby, with those present Richard Walker & H or W[? very frail] STAMPER, at Norton Yorkshire.

1840 March, John Kew and Ursula Goodwill, Father Isaac Goodwill, Wheelwright, Residences both Norton, George Cowin's mark & Wm[? very frail writing, same as the signature above] STAMPER, at Norton Yorkshire.

Hood & Wood, Marriage in the Area
1835 Henry Hood of Hovingham and Elizabeth Wood, at Norton by Malton, present Aley Wood and Robert HORSLEY.

Goodwill & Robert Horsley Link
1826 Richard Goodwill & Ann Darnton, at Terrington, present Sarah & Wm Darton, Robert HORSLEY.

Another Hood & Wood, Marriage
1756 John Hood, Widower and Margaret Wood, Widow, at New Malton, St Leonard, present John Georg [? Geory]
(A minor point, it would be interesting if the surname says George, as two McGeorge are witnessing a Spencer of Scarborough Will and a few Scots dropped the Mc in England).

Summary - Hood, Wood, Goodwill
We had previously discussed James Hood's 1782 Will, of Scarborough, his Father John Hood and his sister Jane Hood's earlier 1772 marriage links to New Malton and where James Hood Son of John Hood was buried at Old Malton in 1781.

Possibly another link now with William Hood of Selby and his Father the mystery George Hood of Selby to the Malton area and another possible link to Scarborough?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 February 20 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello

My word, it is a small world, just been looking for the burial of James Hood of Scarborough at Malton 1781 and found the following I'd written and forgotten ...

Regarding a "John HOOD of Scarborough, in the burial of James Son of John Hood of Scarbro' in the Old Malton Burial Register in 1781. (The Will of James HOOD of Scarborough was Proved Dec 1782, Sister Jane WARDALE, alias WARDLE, signed Wardell or Wardele)."
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758603.msg6157010#msg6157010

----------
Another James Hood with property near Malton, see also addition below ... "regarding James HOOD and Wife Ann, of Upper Catton (Ann HOOD late of Allerthorpe), their Lands appear to have transferred to John CONYERS of New Malton, Gentleman.
 ----------
I believe I have found the grave memorial (now in a path) St Mary's Scarborough for the LEPPINGTON FAMILY (in the M.I.).

Here rests the remaines of JONATHAN LEPPINGTON and also his family the former died 23rd June 1755 aged 48[?] years. Also of HANNAH the wife of CHRISTOPHER CONYERS who died 21st September 1800 aged 64 years.

Burial Register (per M.I.)
25 June 1755 Jonathan Lepington.
24 September 1800 Hannah wife to Christopher Conyers, 64 yrs.
 ----------
Interesting the Lands of James HOOD transferring to a John CONYERS of New Malton, Gent.

Possibly the same LEPPINGTON Family that John HOOD of Scarborough, Mariner (later of Selby) married into (Elizabeth LEPPINGTON) and Hannah [nee LEPPINGTON] died 1800, being the wife of Christopher CONYERS?

Christopher CONYERS married Hannah LEPPINGTON, Scarborough, 17th December 1772 (per FS)
"
 ----------
I came across the Conyers surname the other day somewhere at home, I can't remember now but it will either come back hopefully to memory, or perhaps I made a note.

Added one was a Hood / Conyers Deed re Allerthorpe, Kirby Misperton and Habton (Habton near Malton):
A few years back I purchased a document that mentioned in 1739 James HOOD of Upper Catton, Yeoman and Ann his Wife, and John Conyers of New Malton Gentleman, for ground called Bolton Ings in the Constabulary of Habton in the Parish of Kirkby Misperton otherwise Kirkby Overcar near to a place called Tom Hollin and then in the Tenure or Occupation of James Hood his assignee or assigns.

In 1773 Ann Hood of Allerthorpe, Widow and Relict of James Hood made a transfer.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 March 20 20:54 GMT (UK) »
1851 The actual signatures of Mary Ann Wood & Robert Goodwill at the Scarborough Register Office Marriage of William Hood of Selby, Brewer & Jane Casson.

Off to see if I can find who they are.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 March 20 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Eleven Robert Goodwill, Yorkshire signatures, found 1803 to 1854.

Ten to compare, with the top 1851 signature (in image i) linked to my family tree member William Hood of Selby, Marriage?

(Year date is the date of document, not in order).

Can you see any similar signature/s to the very top signature, please? Or perhaps you have found another that matches?

Thanks, Mark