Author Topic: DNA painter opinions  (Read 1055 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA painter opinions
« on: Sunday 28 October 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I am about to embark on using "DNA painter"

https://dnapainter.com/

to create a coloured chart of which parts of various chromosomes I inherit from which ancestors.

I have watched the youtube video and explored the site and found a few potential problems and questions (although not insurmountable IMO).

Therefore I was wondering if anyone has already used this product and if so if they had any observations, frustrations or hints they would like to share.

Thank you.

(I do not have many ancestors that I can "paint" onto the chart at the moment but I thought it was a good time to learn to use the system before hopefully I have more information that I can add. Personally I am just doing this as a bit of fun and to sate my curiosity).
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DNA painter opinions
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 October 18 06:05 GMT (UK) »
I use DNA painter, though it isn't as helpful as I would like it to be.

The main reason is that I have so few confirmed matches at sites that have a chromosome browser. Most of my confirmed matches are at ancestry and it is difficult to persuade people to upload elsewhere.

The potential is enormous, however. There is a DNA painter Facebook page where you can discuss any problems/queries.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 October 18 14:47 GMT (UK) »
I use DNA painter, though it isn't as helpful as I would like it to be.

The main reason is that I have so few confirmed matches at sites that have a chromosome browser. Most of my confirmed matches are at ancestry and it is difficult to persuade people to upload elsewhere.

The potential is enormous, however. There is a DNA painter Facebook page where you can discuss any problems/queries.

Regards Margaret

Thank you for your reply.

I will have the same problem as you in that I do not have many confirmed matches where I also have a chromosome analysis but I hope that will change in time.

Of course now I have started trying to use this I have immediately come across the problem so often voiced on here of people doing a DNA test but not having a tree. Whilst frustrating I am not overly concerned by this as if people want to keep their tree private then so be it. Then again some of the trees I have gained access to have some delightful rubbish on them and I can see how this happens when a site owner suggests a match and if you confirm it allows you to add all the people associated with that match to your tree! Of course there are safeguards to stop you importing rubbish but it seems quite a few people do not use them. I never wholesale import anything from someone else's tree as I am more than capable of making my own mistakes without importing anyone else's.

One blessing of starting to do this is I have found some nuggets of information I did not have before and also MyHeritage obviously have scanned some records that Ancestry does not have, so that's good too.

I am fortunate in that one match I have is to a father, son, grandson group so I can see how the shared DNA changes between the three generations. One thing that initially foxed me is that the match is stronger on one chromosome with the grandson than with the "father" (i.e. his grandfather). I now assume that this may be down to my possibly having a hidden match with the grandson that I do not have with the father. then again as the difference is only small it may be of no significance at all and just coincidence or "noise"

In the above example our common ancestors are T&H. Now I have another match with some other people where the common ancestors are J&M. T&H are the parents of J&M but the threesome above are not descended from J&M but from J's brother. The match I have from J&M's descendants is not shared with the threesome which makes sense as it result of the combination of J and M's DNA and of course they do not have any of M's DNA. Similarly the matches I have with the threesome group are not shared with some of the descendants of J&M which would be as I see it because they have other ancestors whose DNA has taken precedence. (There is no question here its just me putting my thoughts down hoping to make sense of it. However if you have any thoughts you would like to add please feel free to do so).

What did initially surprise me is that the values on the chromosome where the matches stop and start can very depending what site you get them from. That is to say my initial analysis was done by ftDNA and it is that samples results that I uploaded to MyHeritage. I had assumed it would give the exact same readings for start and end points from both sites as it is the same sample, but no. However, I then remembered that I have read somewhere that this does happen and an explanation for it which as far as I can recall is it is all down to how each site performs their analysis and how they determine where to start and stop counting, if that makes sense. In reality it makes little difference as the amounts in question are small and once painted onto DNA painter you would not be able to tell. Have you experienced this and if so how did you deal with it?

I don't do facebook but thanks for the mention of the group on there.

David
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 October 18 18:20 GMT (UK) »
David, You say "What did initially surprise me is that the values on the chromosome where the matches stop and start can very depending what site you get them from."

There will be very little difference in DNA painter. But if you match someone at FTDNA  and my heritage, you don't need to paint both values in anyway, just the one.

I use DNA painter, but have relatively little experience in triangulation, mainly, as I said before, due to lack of confirmed matches anywhere but ancestry.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 October 18 19:06 GMT (UK) »
David, You say "What did initially surprise me is that the values on the chromosome where the matches stop and start can very depending what site you get them from."

There will be very little difference in DNA painter. But if you match someone at FTDNA  and my heritage, you don't need to paint both values in anyway, just the one.

I use DNA painter, but have relatively little experience in triangulation, mainly, as I said before, due to lack of confirmed matches anywhere but ancestry.

Regards Margaret

Thank you for the reply.

I may have mislead you re getting different results from different testers. One of the points I was trying to make but missed was that I wanted to have all results from one site but this is not going to work as some of my matches have tested with one site and some with another. That said I am happy to have the matches so will have to mix and match so to speak.

Yes I fully appreciate that for any one match I only need to take the results from one site or the other, not both.

To give you an example of the differences for one match on one chromosome the results are

ftdna
107660646 to 123235601
11cMs
6912 SNPs

MyHeritage
108534114 to 123281137
10.89 cMs
3000 SNPs

I think the difference is down to the different chips the two sites use to do the analysis

(I actually have five matches over five chromosomes all over 7cMs with this person)

Regarding triangulation one of the sites gave these values too (MyHeritage). However the point is that the results were marginally different to the ones above but that is as I understand to be expected.

Oh and a question if I may. How do you label your matches on dnapainter. Do you use the double ancestor or single ancestor method. I have opted for double ancestor eg John Smith & Mary Brown rather than the single ancestor method as its not always possible to identify that.

Thanks for the input

David

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 18:54 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you have any thought regarding Double Match Triangulation (DMT)?

It's author is hoping to develop it in such a way that it may well be able to assign segment matches to one parent or the other and thus build up a DNA Family Tree with empty boxes that will be filled from the results of "ordinary" geneaology…

That is if I understand some of the contents of the Help file which can be found at

www.doublematchtriangulator.com/help/DMT.htm

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you have any thought regarding Double Match Triangulation (DMT)?

It's author is hoping to develop it in such a way that it may well be able to assign segment matches to one parent or the other and thus build up a DNA Family Tree with empty boxes that will be filled from the results of "ordinary" geneaology…

That is if I understand some of the contents of the Help file which can be found at

www.doublematchtriangulator.com/help/DMT.htm

I have had a read of the link. Basically if I follow it rightly then this is something that several organisations are trying to work on. What puzzles me is ftDNA use to offer the facility that if you updated yours and your father's dna then they could tell you which matches likely came from your paternal side. And if you had uploaded both parents DNA they could split all your matches into paternal, maternal or uncertain. I am not sure if they still offer this facility but people who used it in the past still have access to the results. So if they could do this in the past this means they must have determined something like what the author is trying to achieve so it might be worth him getting in touch with ftDNA.

Not sure if that answers your question but it is as far as my understanding goes in this at the moment.