Author Topic: Edwin Walter  (Read 763 times)

Offline TrevorW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edwin Walter
« on: Thursday 01 November 18 11:08 GMT (UK) »
My paternal grandfather Thomas Walmsley died in 1949 and my Grandmother Alma Mary Walmsley (Lowry) (1 August 1883 - 5 September 1955) married Edwin Walter in 1951, Stockport, Jan-Feb-Mar, 10a,1279. However I have not found any reference to who Edwin Walter was or where they lived. If she did not move after her marriage her address would have been 27 or 47 Woodfield Crescent, Romiley. Would a copy of the marriage certificate help? Also I can't find a reference to her death - my father has it recorded as 5 September 1955. Any ideas of where to search on who Edwin Walter was or a reference to my grandmothers death would be appreciated. cheers Trevor Walmsley, Christcurch, New Zealand.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Walter
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 November 18 11:24 GMT (UK) »
It looks as though her second married name was in fact Walker rather than Walter - see the 1939 Register as annotated.

Alma M Walker died aged 72, Dec qtr 1955 N.E. Cheshire vol 10a p371.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Walter
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 November 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I agree with the above - the way I did it was to look in CheshireBMD (http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/) for a marriage for Alma Walmsley in 1951 - this comes up:

Cheshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1951
Surname    Forename(s) Surname   Forename(s)    Church / Register Office   Registers At   Reference
WALMSLEY   Alma Mary   WALKER   Edwin              North Reddish, St Agnes   Stockport   ST10/6/256

The marriage certificate will probably show their addresses but I don't have a good selection of certificates from this era to have a feel for the probability. Tracing them thereafter would probably only be possible with Electoral Registers and that sort of stuff isn't generally online for that period.

CheshireBMD version of the death found by AVM228 (thanks!) is
Cheshire Death indexes for the years: 1955
Surname   Forename(s)   Age or Date of Birth   Sub-District   Registers At   Reference
WALKER   Alma Mary            72                               Bredbury   Stockport   BRE/1B/28

So she died in the Bredbury sub-district. (Whether she was resident there is another matter).